56 | BLOOD & WHIPPED BOYFRIEND

A      C      E

“Dean” Octavio suggested while his face buried in the screen of his Macbook.

“No,” I replied, sighing.

I turned to look up at my son, who was already blissfully gazing at me. On top of Nyx, he was lying. Her head rested on Zayn's lap as she lay on the sofa. Zayn was playing with Nyx's hair strand. I know something has been going on between them, something romantic and none of them had enough guts to admit it. Zayn has been interested in Nyx since the beginning, that was the day we first met her. Usually, Zayn would kill people if they came in our way and on that night Nyx was in our way but he didn't kill her. He let her go. Perhaps that was the only time that he had the courage to let her go. They looked cute together but not more than my son. My son was the cutest human on the whole fucking planet. His soft skin was softer than cotton. His smile would brighten up anyone's day. He was a blessing to me.

“Jaymes with a y” Octavio suggested. Jaymes, different spelling but cliche.

“No” I denied. We have been searching for a perfect name for my son. It's been almost a week since we started searching for a name. And we haven't found any.

“Jace” Levi suggested, taking a seat beside me.

“No” Zayn replied, stretching the ‘o’ sound.

“No” Nyx imitated Zayn by stretching the ‘o’ sound. My son let out a cute giggle, followed by the ‘o’ sound which earned our attention. She made him sit on her tummy, and she looked at him with surprise. 

Zayn arched an eyebrow at him in amusement. He repeated "No," stretching the 'o' as he leaned closer to my son.  My son leaned toward Zayn too, letting out a giggle and making the same ‘o’ sound, as he did earlier. My heart swelled, looking at them.

The tip of their noses touched, which made my baby giggle even more. Zayn planted a soft kiss on the top of his nose. When I looked around I saw everyone staring at Zayn and my son with awe.

Just like how Nyx lit up Zayn's mood every time, my son lit mine. Once again, I saw a purpose to live. I forcefully stop a tear from slipping down my face.

“Boss,” Hunter called out, making his way to Zayn. He always had a serious look on his face but today he looked tensed. He was holding three envelopes in his hand. At the top was an orange-coloured file, in the middle there was a beige-coloured card and then there was a white-coloured envelope. He first handed over the orange file to him and said “These are the details of the dealers you asked for”

“Is that a handmade wedding card?” Nyx exclaimed, sitting straight while securing my son in her arms. Before she can take the card from Hunter, Zayn snatched the card causing Nyx to glare at him. Levi and I chuckled as we exchanged a look. He did so to check whether the card was safe or not.

Zayn checked the card from every angle and then gave it to Nyx. “Isn’t it beautiful?” She whispered to my son. For the past four days, my son has become more observant. Perhaps he sensed the seriousness in the environment around him and chose to be less pain in our asses.

“What's that?” I asked.

“Wedding card of the chief of the police department” Hunter replied. I nodded, Kane Archer, chief of the police department who happened to be our pal. They say make enemies your friend, so we did. Turns out Kane was never our enemy, he only wanted what was the best for the civilians and he accommodated us. He covered our tracks and we made sure nothing happened to the civilians under his area.

“His to-be wife must have made this card,” Zayn said.

“Oh really? Don't you know her too well?” Nyx snapped, furiously glaring at him.