64 | I MIGHT STEP ON YOU

Z      A      Y      N

.    .   .
“And I gotta let you know
You got my heart like it's yours
Don't wanna say goodbye”
.   .   .

I feel like a chocolate box whose chocolates have all been consumed. In a nutshell, I, or more precisely, my mind, feel empty. I've got this beautiful woman sitting beside me, looking out the car window, probably wondering why she agreed to go on this date. Because we haven't spoken a single word since I started driving.  I know I should be making an effort to connect with her, but I just can't find the words.

"Lose your grip on the steering wheel, or you will break it," Nyx warned.

I noticed I was actually gripping the steering wheel way too hard and that my palms had gone red. Just because someone has a tight grip on the steering wheel doesn't necessarily mean they are nervous. It could simply be a habit.

However, I was well aware that I was getting nervous second by second.

"You know I should be the one getting nervous, not you," she added, mocking me, hiding her smile.

I scoffed fakely, pretending to be tough. "What makes you think I am nervous?" I asked, trying to hide my nervousness. 

"Look at yourself; you look like a constipated pole, " she replied.

"That doesn't make any sense." I retorted, trying to brush off her teasing. But deep down, I knew she was right. My palms were sweaty, and my heart was racing. I couldn't help but feel nervous about what was to come.

"Sure, whatever floats your boat." she said "Just focus on the road; whatever is destined to happen will happen. There's no need to get all worked up about it while driving. Unlike you, I am too young to die."

"Are you trying to mock me?"

"How can I mock you? One should never mock their elders," she replied, muffling her laugh.

I sighed deeply. "That is not funny"

"Agreed," she replied with a straight face.

I drove to a secluded but elegant restaurant tucked away in a serene corner of the city. As we reached there, I led Nyx through the restaurant's entrance. We were greeted by the hostess who led us through a dimly lit hallway adorned with beautiful artwork. The soft glow of the warm lighting added to the restaurant's intimate ambiance. I had chosen this place carefully, knowing that Nyx appreciated intimacy and quiet conversations.

I stole glances at Nyx; she was fidgeting with her ring, a nervous habit I had never noticed before. It was one of the many things I wanted to understand better, to unravel the intricate layers of Nyx's personality. I placed my hand on her back just a little attempt to support her.

We entered the main dining area, which was exquisitely decorated with a sophisticated blend of modern and classic elements. The walls were adorned with tasteful paintings, adding a touch of artistic allure to the space. Each table was adorned with elegant white linens, sparkling crystal glassware, and polished silverware, reflecting attention to detail.

"Quite the fancy restaurant you choose," Nyx said as we sat on the chair.

"You like it?"

"I'll tell you that after tasting the food" she replied. So, Nyx believes the quality of the restaurant should be judged based on the taste of the food rather than its appearance, dully noted.

"I think I should have worn something else" Nyx muttered.

"Tux suits you" I replied "You look great"