39

I sat down on the couch in a home that suddenly didn't feel so familiar anymore

I sat down on the couch in a home that suddenly didn't feel so familiar anymore. My mouth pressed firmly against my folded hands as my leg bounced anxiously.

I was staring at my phone, waiting for my father to call me back. He would tell me the truth on this, maybe this was all just a prank and when I call him he will tell me its all a joke.

Why wouldn't they tell me about this? Isn't this just as much my business as it is theirs? I'm their fucking KID! Does my well-being not matter in this situation?

"Hyunjin. You know you eventually have to call them right?" Heeseung said from beside me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I know. I'm just... thinking about what to say." I admitted, picking up my phone and hovered my thumb over the call button. It took me a minute before I was finally able to press the button on my screen and lifted the phone to me ear.

I arose to my feet, walking my way back into the kitchen. The papers still firmly in my grip. It seems like the ringing went on forever, as if time had just passed me by a million years and I had no idea. When the call finally connected, I didn't know what to say.

"Hyunjin, why are calling during your break, aren't you supposed to be out partying?" My fathers voice echoed through the phone with a laugh and I couldn't help but break down crying. "Hyunjin?  God, what's wrong?"

"D-dad?" I rested my hand on the counter and arrearages myself out as I bit down on my bottom lip to keep it from trembling. "Fuck, can I even call you that anymore?"

"What do yo-"

"I found the papers, Dad. The divorce papers. The Paternity Results. I saw all of it." I said through sniffles and hick-ups.

"You went to the house?" He asked slowly.

"Yea." I admitted. "I came to get my car. I wouldn't have found them if mom hadn't decided to play hide and seek with my car keys."

"She claims it's her car."

"No. I bought that car, my name is on the title. I put too much money into that vehicle for her to take it from me. But this isn't the point of the call Dad. When were you going to tell me?"

"I wanted to tell you when I served your mom the papers. But she's insisting on 'working out our problems.' So she was in charge of when to say anything."

"You we're still gonna divorce her? Despite her trying?"

"You saw the paternity results, son. She's had an affair, she was unfaithful and probably still is." I could hear a voice echo through the end of his phone. By the sound of the voice i knew it was my mother.

"Is that mom?"

"Yea."

"Hand the phone to her."

"Son, I don't think that's.."