Chapter 9: Mandrakes and Ron's Howler

The Whomping Willow sulks in the courtyard, slings strung about its injured branches. camera cranes over the castle walls, revealing the exterior of greenhouse three, where students hurry inside for the beginning of class. As Athena and Ron enter, Seamus, Neville and some of the other Gryffindors hover nearby.

Neville: [shocked] Detention! On the first day?
Seamus: That must be some kind of record.

"It's is, especially since they got the detention as soon as they stepped through the doors" many pranksters nodded in agreement.

Athena: Well I already had detention on the first day back anyway
Neville: What! Why?
Athena: That end of year prank me and Fred done on the Slytherins [Seamus laughs]
Seamus: That was good [Athena gave a bow]
Hermione:I should think you'd count yourself lucky that's all you got.
Ron:I should think you'd mind your own business. [Athena turns to Neville]

"Ron apologise!" "I already did mum" "Ron apologise before your mum looses her head" "okay dad, I'm sorry Hermione" "it's okay Ronald"

Athena: Bet you 20 gallons they start dating middle of seventh year
Neville: No way! They'll start dating a year after we finish school! [they shaking hands sealing the deal]

Many laugh at Athena and Neville and start making bets of their own.

Ron and Hermione glare at each other. Professor Sprout, a squat little witch, taps her wand on a stack of pots.

Professor Sprout: Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years. Today, we will be re-potting Mandrakes. Now, who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake? Yes, Miss Granger.
Hermione: Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been transfigured to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it.

The students who have dealt with the mandrakes all whined however the ones who are yet to deal with them sit on the edge of their seat, taking mental notes.

Professor Sprout: Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor. As our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill yet. However, they will knock you out for several hours. That is why I have provided each of you with a pair of earmuffs. If you would then...

Ron frowns. He's gotten a bright pink fluffy pair, Athena laughs at him whilst he playfully bumps her with his shoulder. When the class is ready, Professor Sprout leads them to the garden area. She grasps one of the tufty plants before her... and pulls. Athena gasps. Instead of roots, a small, muddy, extremely ugly baby pops out of the earth, leaves growing right out of its head. Neville's eyes roll back. He faints.
Professor Sprout plunges the bawling creature deep into a pot, removes her earmuffs, and the others follow suit. Everyone save Neville, who lies stretched on the ground.

Alice and Frank look worriedly at the screen.

Professor Sprout: Hm. Looks as though Mr. Longbottom neglected his muffs.
Seamus: No, máam. He's just fainted.
Professor Sprout: Very well. We'll just leave him then. Come now. Four to a tray, plenty of pots to go round...

"Well it's nice to know where Sprouts loyalties lie" Frank shakes his head. Professor Sprout who was currently sat at the teachers table goes bright red.

Percy enters in the company of Penelope Clearwater, just as nearly headless Nick glides by.

Penelope Clearwater: There's Nearly Headless Nick.
Percy: Hello, Sir Nicolas.
NearlyHeadlessNick: Hello, Percy. Miss Clearwater.

At the Gryffindor table, Hermione has her nose buried in Gilderoy Lockhart's Travels with Trolls, Athena shakes her head at Hermione in disbelief. Ron runs gobs of Spellotape over his broken wand, shakes his head grimly. Fred and George along with their friend Lee comes and joins them. Fred sits next to Athena whilst George and Lee sit the other side. Fred smiles at Athena and she smiles back.

"Why didn't you ask for a new wand" Molly sighed "Well mum I would sound a bit selfish, I mean I stole dad's car and then expect a new wand" Molly nods in understanding. "It's also a good thing I didn't get a new one" many looked at him confused.

Ron: Say it. I'm doomed.
Athena: You're more than doomed [Fred snorts and Hermione whacks Athena's arm with her book] OUCH Hermione that hurt

Athena continues to rub her arm where Hermione hit her until a hand grabs hers taking it off of her arm. Fred then leans down and kisses her arm. Athena stares at him.

Fred: [smirking] All better love? [Athena just nods and Fred chuckles]

FLASH! -- a light blinds Athena. She blinks, finds a small boy (Colin Creevey) standing before her with a camera.

Everyone laughs.

Colin: Hiya, Athena. I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor too.
Athena: Hello, Colin. Nice to meet-
Colin: They're for my dad -- the pictures. He's a milkman, you know, a Muggle, like all our family's been until me. No one knew all the odd stuff I could do was magic till we got my letter from Hogwarts. Everyone just thought I was mental.

All the women gush over Colin.

Ron: Imagine that
Colin: Say, Athena. D'you think your friend could take a photo of me and you standing together? Ya' know, to prove I've met you?

Athena glances at Ron. He looks positively homicidal. Mercifully, just then, owls stream into the Hall.

"Ahhh saved by the owls" the Prewett twins say dramatically.

Dean Thomas:Post is here!

One after another, the birds swoop gracefully down, clutching letters from home. All except one, who plops beak-first into Ron's soup. Errol.

Ron: Bloody bird's a menace -- Oh...no.
Seamus: Heads up, everyone. Weasley's gotten himself a Howler. [Fred and George look at each other and smirk]

Everyone turns and looks at Molly and Arthur, who just shrug their shoulders.

Neville: Go on, Ron. I ignored one from my Gran once... and it was horrible.
Athena: This is Karma for being rude to Hermione earlier [Neville, Seamus, Dean, Fred, Lee and George all laugh]

"Hang on a minute why would you be living with mother and not us" asked Frank, "just wait and see dad" Alice and Frank look at each other nervously.

Ron looks pale. Clutched in Errol's beak is a dark red envelope. Hands shaking, he takes it, opens Mrs. Weasleys voice thunders, sending plates and spoons rattling.

Everyone winced and covers their ears.

Mrs. Weasley(V.O): RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME![voice softening suddenly]Oh, and Ginny dear. Congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud.

Many look at Molly and gulp. She just smiles shyly and innocently.

Ginny, sitting a bit apart from the others, looks up shyly, then returns to the small black book she's scribbling in. Ron watches the envelope rip itself to pieces, then endures howls of laughter from the other House tables. Colin Creevey snaps a few photos. Athena looks sympathetically at Ron.

Athena: Look at it this way. How much worse can things get?

"Oh for merlins sake" "you've jinxed it" "fuck sake Athena" Athena shrinks down in her seat hiding her face.

———————————————————————————————————————
A/N:
Hello my loves!
How was this chapter?
Does anyone else know Mollys howler off by heart?
Have a great day/night
Make sure you stay hydrated and take your medication or Molly will send you a howler🤍
I love you!

⚡️Mischief Managed⚡️