Chapter 21: Onlookers to the rescue

Athena: Look, Buckbeak's still alive.
Hermione: Of course. Remember what Dumbledore said? If we succeed, more than one innocent life could be spared. Let's go.

"No way!" Barty gaped "you didn't!" "Oh we did" smirked Hermione and Athena.

Athena and Hermione run down to hide in the pumpkin patch.

Hagrid: Great man, Dumbledore. Great man.

Athena turns to see Fudge, Dumbledore, and Macnair are approaching.

Athena: Here they come. I better hurry.
Hermione: Fudge has to see Buckbeak before we steal him. Otherwise, he'll think Hagrid set him free.
Ron: Scabbers. You're alive!
Hagrid: You want to keep a closer eye on your pets, Ron.
Athena: That's Pettigrew.

Everyone glared.

Hermione: Athena, you can't.
Athena: Hermione, that's the man who betrayed my parents! You don't expect me to just sit here!

Everyone sent pity looks to Athena who just ignored it. Mia and Monty came and sat next to their granddaughter, who smiled and hugged them.

Hermione: Yes, and you must! [she restrains her] Athena, you're in Hagrid's hut now. If you just go bursting in you'll think you've gone mad! Awful things happen to wizards who meddle with time, Athena. We can't be seen.

"Holy shit you managed to restrain Athena" said Neville "what do you mean?" Questioned Ted. "No one, not even Fred can calm down an angry Athena" Draco answered. Athena just pouted. Mia and Lily raised an eyebrow at her.

Dumbledore: Remember this footpath, Minister?
Fudge: Yes, yes.
Hermione: Fudge is coming, and we aren't leaving. Why aren't we leaving?

Hermione suddenly notices a small rock with a snail shell pattern on it. She looks at it for a moment and then throws it into Hagrid's hut, breaking the vase on the table.

Athena: Are you mad?
Hermione throws another rock, hitting the earlier Athena in the back of the head.

Earlier Athena: Ow.
Athena: Ow. That hurt [she pouts]
Hermione: Sorry.
Athena: You better be otherwise I'll ban you from the library
Hermione: If you do that, I'll ban you from Zonkos
Athena: You try that I'll rip up all your homework
Hermione: Do that I dare you! I'll lock away your pranking stuff
Athena: I'll tell Snape what you done in our first and second year! [Hermione stayed silent] I win!

Everyone laughed extremely hard at the two, "I don't know why I encouraged you" Hermione shook her head, Athena done a little dance chanting "I won, I won, I won"

Fudge, Dumbledore, and Macnair reach Hagrid's hut. Dumbledore knocks on the door.

Dumbledore: That's the ling you can see over there on the slope. Ah, Hagrid.

The earlier Hermione opens the back door.

Hermione: We're coming out the back door. Go!

Fudge, Dumbledore, and Macnair enter Hagrid's house. The time-traveling Athena and Hermione run into the woods as their earlier selves enter the pumpkin patch. Hermione peeks out from behind a tree, looking at her earlier self.

Hermione: Is that really what my hair looks like from the back?
Athena: Hermione your hair always looks good.

Hermione breaks a twig and quickly hides behind the tree again. Her earlier self turns around.

Earlier Athena/Neville: What?
Earlier Hermione: I thought I just saw... Never mind.
Ron: Let's go.

Athena and Hermione return to the pumpkin patch as their earlier selves head back up towards the castle. Hermione checks to make sure the coast is clear.

Hermione: Okay, go, Athena! Go! [Athena approaches Buckbeak. A couple crows peck at her feet.]
Athena: Go away. Get off.

Athena bows to Buckbeak, who bows back. A crow pecks at Athena's hand as she takes Buckbeak's chain.

Athena: Ow.
Fudge: Very well, gentlemen, shall we step outside? [The door to Hagrid's hut starts to open.]
Dumbledore: Minister, I really think I should sign as well.
Fudge: [as the door closes again] Yes, very well, perhaps it would be a good thing if...
Athena: Okay, Buckbeak. Come quickly. Come with us now. Come on.

Athena pulls on the chain, but Buckbeak refuses to move.

Hermione: Keep trying. Come on. Quickly.
Athena: He's being stubborn, just like you

Athena smirks making Hermione roll her eyes. Buckbeak finally seems to respond. Hermione runs off somewhere.

Athena: Buckbeak. Okay? Quickly. Hurry up. Okay?
Fudge: Your name only.
Dumbledore: It's such a very long name.
Athena: Hurry up now, Buckbeak, okay?
Hermione: [reappearing with some dead ferrets] Come on, Buckbeak. Come and get the nice dead ferret.

"Move your fat arse beaky" "Come on buckbeak don't be a menace like Theo!" "Oi! At least I ain't a drama queen Zamboni" "it's Zabini" "Potato patato"

Buckbeak gets up for this treat. Hermione tosses one to him.

Hermione: Come on. It's here. Come on, Beaky.

Dumbledore leads Hagrid, Fudge, and Macnair outside. Athena and Hermione freeze in horror.

Dumbledore: Here we are, Minister. Follow me. Now, look there.
Fudge: Where?
Dumbledore: Look beyond the rocks.
Fudge: What am I supposed to see?
Dumbledore: Professor Dippet had that ling planted when he was headmaster.
Fudge: Oh, yes. Indeed, indeed.
Dumbledore: And all the strawberries you see.

"You were stalling" Remus said.

Dumbledore is directing Fudge to look away from where Athena and Hermione are standing.

Hermione: Come on, Buckbeak. Come on.

Buckbeak is finally convinced to follow Athena and Hermione into the woods.

Fudge: Oh, let's get this over with.
Dumbledore: All right [They all turn to the pumpkin patch just after Buckbeak has left it.]
Fudge: But where is it? I saw the beast just now. Not a moment ago!
Dumbledore: How extraordinary.
Hagrid: Buckbeak.
Fudge: Oh, come now, Dumbledore. Someone's obviously released him [Athena and Hermione are watching from the woods.]
Dumbledore: I don't think the Minister's suggesting that you had anything to do with this, Hagrid. After all, how could you? You've been with us all the time.
Hagrid: Well, right.
Fudge: Well, well, we must search the grounds.
Dumbledore: Search the skies, if you must, Minister. Meanwhile, I'd like a nice cup of tea or a large brandy. Oh, executioner, your services are no longer required. Thank you.

Dumbledore and Hagrid go back inside.

Hagrid: You'll find no small glasses in this house, Professor.

McGonagall laughed fondly at the friendly giant.

Macnair raises his axe and smashes a pumpkin in anger, a sight that the Athena, Ron, and Hermione on the hilltop will mistake for the execution.

"So that's what happened" James and Sirius said.

———————————————————————————————————————
A/N:
Hello my loves!
How was this chapter?
Double post! Bet you guys feel really lucky 😙
Have a good day/night
Make sure you stay hydrated and take your medication or Buckbeaks dies🤍
I love you!

⚡️Mischief Managed⚡️