Chapter 17: Liquid Luck

INT. CORRIDOR - LATE AFTERNOON (LATER)

Athena and Neville walk down the corridor, laughing and joking.

Ron (o.s): So. Did you two hide the book?
Athena: Yep
Neville: Sure did

Just then, Slughorn rounds the far end of the corridor and –– spying Athena –– does a little Oliver Hardy 'Oops' and retreats.

Ron: Still no luck with Slughorn, I take it?

Athena shakes her head –– then stops cold, stares at the empty space where Slughorn stood moments before. A smirk making its way onto her face.

"Oh not that smirk. That's a James smirk." Monty sighed. "A James smirk?" James tilts his head, confused. "You smirk whenever you're thinking of doing something mischievous." Mia explained. "I do not!" James said in an offend tone. "Yes you do." Pretty much everyone in the hall deadpans. James crosses his arms and pouts.

Athena: Say that again

INT. COMMON ROOM - DUSK

The tiny vial of Felix Felicis glimmers in Athena's palm as she, Ron and Hermione huddle in the empty dormitory. They exchange glances, then Athena brings the vial to her lips.

"Definitely a James thing to do." "Is it pick on James day today or something?"

Hermione: Well? How do you feel?
Athena: Excellent. Really excellent
Hermione: Now remember. Slughorn usually eats early, takes a short walk and then returns to his office
Athena: Yeah whatever, I'm going down to Hagrids

A few people can't help but chuckle.

Hermione: What? No, Athena –– you've got to go see Slughorn. We have a plan ––
Athena: Fuck the plan! [She smiles] I've got a really good feeling about Hagrid's. I feel like it's the place to be tonight, you know what I mean?

"Nope," everyone shakes their heads. "She's more chaotic on this." Neville laughs, making the future generation nod in agreement.

Hermione/Ron: No
Athena: Trust me. I know what I'm doing. Or at least Felix does

Athena stands and walks to the exit. A few students walk through the portrait.

Athena: Hiya losers!

Everyone laughs.

INT. CORRIDOR - DUSK

A boy with a prefects badge patrols the corridor. Bored, he ponders the progress of his faint moustache in a mirror. Athena walks by, unseen.

INT ENTRANCE HALL - DUSK

Filch paces, standing guard with Mrs Norris sits calmly by. A mouse appears in the open helmet of a shit of armour, washes its face with its tiny paws, then spies Mrs Norris –– who hisses. The mouse makes a quick retreat and the face plate comes clanging down. As Filch wheels, Athena strolls past, flipping both Mrs Norris and Filch off.

"Athena!" Lily gasped but tried to hold back a chuckle. Everyone else laughs.

EXT. GROUNDS/HOGWARTS CASTLE - DUSK

Two Aurors, twin silhouettes, patrol the grounds. Athena approaches, about to intersect their path when, at the last second, something on the ground catches her eye. She kneels, considers a beetle on its back, legs churning helplessly. Athena extends her finger, letting the tiny bug gain purchase, then tips it upright...