Chapter 24: Aragog

Fang crashes through low-slung branches and sharp brambles as Athena follows. Ron gingerly picks his way, the jumps... as Fang howls. Branches snap. A rumbling noise sounds, then... silence. Athena spies something, points.

Athena: There's something moving over there... something big.

"Run" Lily kept chanting, the marauders covered their eyes.

Just then a blaze of light splinters the trees, blinding them. They start to flee... when Ron stops.

Ron: Athena!... Athena, it's our car!

Scratched and mud-smeared, with bits of earth and grass sprouting from its headlamps and hubcaps -- the Ford Anglia looks half-animal. Ron circles it in wonder.

"Merlin look at it" "That cars seen some shit" "Daniel shut up"

Ron: It's been here all the time! Look at it. The Forest has turned it wild.

Athena nods, then glances back up the slope.

Athena: C'mon, we don't want to lose the trail.

"Or you could just turn back around" Frank said. The parents agree with him.

Athena and Ron enter a hollow ribboned with shadows. Enormous trees tower over them, strewn with strands of white webbing. Ron steps on a strand, kicks it off queasily. Athena peers up ahead: at the far end of the hollow, the spiders stream toward a DARK OPENING. As Athena and Ron approach the opening, a CLICKING SOUND emanates from within, ECHOING in the branches of the tall trees. GROWING LOUDER. Ron falters, glancing about nervously.

Ron: I don't have a good feeling about this, Athena --

"Me too son" Arthur agreed with on-screen Ron.

Athena: Don't panic. I'm right here with you okay? [Ron nods]

Many cooed at Athena.

As Athena steps to the mouth of the cavern, the AIR suddenly CRACKLES with MOVEMENT. TWIGS SNAP. A HUGE SHADOW emerges, slowly engulfs Athena. She peers up. An ANCIENT SPIDER (ARAGOG), the size of a small elephant. As it advances, Athena and Ron back slowly away. Then:its BLIND EYES catch the light, and it STOPS. As if... listening.

Hagrid smiles at seeing his old friend, glad that his new friends get to meet him, whilst others scream and tried to hide. Sirius yet again fainted and the rest of the trouble makers and parents turn ghostly white.

Aragog: You do not come from the forest. Your hearts beat like... men.
Athena: (breathing unsteadily) Yes. We're friends of Hagrid's. And you... you're... (as it comes to her)... Aragog, aren't you?

Hearing this, Aragog's head turns slightly.

Aragog: Hagrid has never sent men or women into our hollow before.
Athena: He's in trouble. Up at school, there've been attacks. They think it's Hagrid. They think he's opened the Chamber of Secrets. Like before.

As Athena talks, Ron's eyes dart warily about, then... RON'S POV - a pair of long legs -- SPIDER'S LEGS -- curl slowly around the trunk of the tree to his left. Terrified, Ron NUDGES Athena, but Athena ignores him.

Everyone was either too scared or too invested to say anything, Fred wrapped his arms around Athena who had started to shake. Hermione rubbed her hand up and down Rons back.

Aragog: [raising his voice] That's a lie! Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets!
Athena: But if Hagrid never... that means... you're not the monster.
Aragog: The monster was born in the castle. I came from a distant land, in the pocket of a traveler.