Chapter 11: Felix Felicis

INT. GREAT HALL - MORNING

Ron enters the hall, eyes lowered, knuckles tapped for Quidditch, flexing his fingers anxiously as he makes for the Gryffindor table. Neville passes going the other way.

"QUIIIDDDDDIIITTTIIICCCCHHHHH!!"

Neville: Good luck, eh, Ron?

Ron nods shortly, then Seamus comes up on his side, whispers conspiratorially.

Seamus: Counting on you, Ron. I've got two Galleons on Gryffindor

As Seamus peels off, Ron cuts his eyes toward the Slytherin table, where the Quidditch team sits together. One Slytherin juts his chin toward Ron, mutters something. A few turn, snigger. Ron averts his eyes and...almost runs into Cormac, who eyes him with disdain as he passes. Frowning, Ron drops down opposite Athena and Hermione. Athena eyes him briefly, knowingly, pushes a plate across. Ron takes a fork, pokes at it glumly.

Ron: So. How was it?

Hermione continues to read the Prophet, unaware of Ron's mood.

Hermione: How was what?
Ron: [With mock refinement] Your dinner party
Hermione: Dead boring

Athena nods in agreement.

Hermione: Ol' Sluggys having a Christmas do, you know. And we're meant to bring someone...
Ron: I expect you'll be going with McLaggen. Isn't he member of Slug Club?
Hermione: Actually, I was going to ask you
Ron: Really?
Hermione: Really. But seeing as you have such a distaste for the idea ––
Lavender Brown: [Passing by] Good luck today, Ron! I know you'll be brilliant!

"Ew." "Athena!" "Sorry mum."

Ron smiles feebly, looks back down at his plate. Hermione stares daggers.

Ron: I'm resigning. After todays match. McLaggen can have my spot

Hearing this, Hermione turns back. Athena catches her eye, extends a shaking hand to indicate Ron's mental state.

Athena: Have it your way. Juice?

"Huh?" Monty looks questionably at his granddaughter who says nothing.

Hermione blinks, surprised by Athena's callousness. Ron is surprised as well –– and musky put out.

Ron: Sure...

As Athena pours, Luna arrives at the table wearing a hat that beats an uncanny resemblance to a real lion.

Luna: Hello, everyone. You look dreadful, Ron

Ron nods grimly, lifts his glass. Luna turns to Athena.

Luna: Is that why you are just put something in his cup. Is it a tonic?

The tiny vial of Felix Felicis glints in Athena's palm.

People gasp.

Hermione: Don't drink that, Ron!

But Ron's frozen mid-sip, looking at Athena's palm too. Quickly, he gulps down the rest.

Hermione: You could be expelled for that

"She's right, Athena!" Lily scolds.

Athena: Dunno what you're talking about

Athena pockets the vial, winks at Luna. Ron rises.