Chapter 13: Malfoy Manor

EXT. RIVERBANK - DUSK

... tumble INTO VIEW and roll to their feet, barely visible in the darkness.

Ron: That treacherous old bleeder! Is there no one we can trust!
Athena: [Softly] They've kidnapped Luna because he supported me. He was just desperate.
Theo: Doesn't change anything...

"I apologise for my actions," Lunas dad says. They all smile at him and tell him it's fine.

Ron says nothing, then SPITS, clearing the grit from his teeth and peers toward the river. Unlike the raging force it was the last time they were here, it is little more than a trickle now. The trees are eerily quiet.

Ron: I'll do the enchantments.

Ron takes out his wand... when Hermione raises her hand, stopping him. Her eyes rise. Her breath catches. Ron, Athena, Theo and Blaise look. Clinging to the branches of the trees above, almost as if a part of the trees themselves, are...SNATCHERS.

"Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" Monty groans and smacks a pillow onto his face so he can scream in annoyance.

A wand BLOOMS above, illuminates the face of Scabior. Hermione's red scarf, now faded and filthy, dangles from his neck. He presses it to his grimy nose, inhales and GRINS.

Scabior: Hello, beautiful.

"Pervert." "BARTY?!" "What?"

EXT. FOREST - DUSK (MOMENTS LATER)

The quintet through the trees. As they diverge, we CUT BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE FIVE: Hermione, swift as the wind, flickers through the trees as Scabior pursues her. Athena and Blaise slashes through the river, looks up, and sees a Snatcher leap across the divide from one tree to another. Ron pounds through thick brush, over a fallen tree. Theo following behind. The forest grows more dense, the shadows thicken. Spells splinter through the trees, ropes of light lace the night. Hermione stumbles, regains her footing, finds herself in a clearing. Another two figures pelts toward her: Athena and Blaise.

"Run! Run! Ruuuuuuuuuun!" Rabstan shouts. "Nah, I'll rather walk," Theo says, his tone full of sarcasm.

They freeze briefly, then the clearing explodes with light as spells ricochet. They hit the ground. Hear the Snatchers closing in. Athena looks to Hermione. The TIP of her WAND GLOWS and her face blooms in the darkness, looking mildly demonic. She reaches out, STRIPS HER GLASSES FROM HER FACE, then points her wand... at her. A BURST of WHITE LIGHT strikes her in the eyes. As her wand goes dark...

EXT. FORTRESS - NIGHT

... she is flying toward a fortress, gliding around the high walls, up to the topmost window of the highest tower. She passes through the window -- little more than a slit -- and...

INT. CELL - CONTINUOUS ACTION - NIGHT

... finds a SKELETAL FIGURE lying beneath a ragged blanket. The figure stirs, looks up, and grins with broken teeth. It is the young man -- the thief -- grown old. Grindelwald.

"Looks like someone's had a rough time," Sirius says bluntly. Dumbledore tenses when he sees his old lover.

Grindelwald: Ah, Tom, I thought you would come one day. But surely you must know I no longer have what you seek...

A SHADOW -- Voldemort's -- falls across Grindelwald.

Voldemort: If not you, then who?
Grindelwald: You're so innocent, Tom. Like a schoolboy. There's so much you don't understand...
Voldemort: Tell me, Grindelwald. Tell me where to find it! Tell me who possesses it! The name, Grindelwald! The name!
Grindelwald: Can't you guess, Tom? It lies with him, of course. Buried within the earth. It is he who possesses it, even in death. Your old friend and mine... Dumbledore.