Chapter 9: Bogarts

A tall WARDROBE RATTLES VIOLENTLY as Athena, Ron and several classmates regard it warily.

Professor Lupin: Intriguing, yes? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?

"MOONY!" Yelled James, Sirius and Athena.

Seamus: [in a hushed voice] That's a Boggart, that is.
Professor Lupin: Very good, Mr. Finnigan. Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?
Hermione: No one knows.

Ron JUMPS, glances at Hermione, then WHISPERS to Athena.

Ron: When'd she get here? [Athena shrugs and narrows her eyes at Hermione]
Hermione: Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so --
Professor Lupin: Terrifying, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands, please... Riddikulus!

"Riddikulus!" Shouts the trouble makers and a few other students

Students: Riddikulus!
Draco: [muttering softly] It's this class that's ridiculous.

"Very original" Teased Theo "oh yes never thought of that one before" Blaise continued

Professor Lupin: Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart off is...laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Neville, come up here, will you?

Neville eyes the rattling wardrobe, he turns to look at Athena for reassurance, who gives him a thumbs up and smiles, he slowly steps forward queasily.

"You got this Neville" Cheered Alice and Frank followed by, 3 out of the 4 marauders, the Weasleys and Prewett twins, the Potters, the Slytherins and most of the hall.

Professor Lupin: What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?
Neville: Profter... Snafpt...
Professor Lupin: Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry.
Neville: Professor Snape.

"He shouldn't scare you though, he's a teacher" Minnie said sadly, "you scare me Minnie especially when you're angry" grinned Athena, Lily and Hermione scolded her whilst the trouble makers nod in agreement.

Everyone LAUGHS good-naturedly. Lupin nods thoughtfully.

Professor Lupin: Hmmm... yes. Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?

"Please don't turn into her, she's scary as well" shivered Frank

Neville: Yes, but I don't want the Boggart to turn into her either.
Professor Lupin: It won't. But I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. Can you do that?

"No you did not" gaped Frank "oh Remus you are now my favourite" he laughed, Remus laughed at James and Sirius' faces.

Neville: [closing his eyes] She carries a red handbag...
Professor Lupin: That's fine. We don't need to hear it. If you see it, we will. Now, when I open this wardrobe, Neville, here's what I want you to do...

Lupin leans close to Neville, WHISPERS. Neville's eyes POP OPEN in shock. Consider Lupin uncertainly.

Professor Lupin: You can do this, Neville.