Chapter 12: The Sword

EXT. FOREST OF DEAN - NIGHT (MOMENTS LATER)

FROST CRUNCHES beneath Athena's feet as she dashes through the trees in pursuit of the silent doe up ahead, breath streaming from her lungs. The doe leads her deep into the forest until, finally, she stops, as does Athena. As she watches, she turns her beautiful head toward her... and vanishes. For a moment, a GHOST IMAGE of her, like a retina burn, hangs in the air and then Athena is plunged into darkness.

"Oh yes, let's follow the patronus to the middle of no where," Mia sighs.

Athena: Lumos!

Hermione's wand-tip ignites. Athena paints the clearing with light and something GLEAMS: a small FROZEN POOL.

She crosses to it, looks down. She sees her own image reflected dully and then, deeper, within, a SILVER CROSS. She looks closer. It is the SWORD OF GRYFFINDOR.

"No fucking way!"

Athena steps back, blinks. It's still there. She glances about, painting the trees with light, looking to insure she is alone, then casts light upon the pool once more.

Athena: Accio sword

Nothing. Athena walks about the pool again and again and then stops. She crouches... and looks slowly down at his chest. The Horcrux around her neck has begun to TWITCH. Athena places her fingers upon it briefly, then rises. Quickly, with fumbling fingers, she SHEDS her clothes and points Hermione's wand at the pool.

All the males respectfully look away from the screen, apart from Fred. Who was practically drooling.

Athena: Diffindo

The pool's icey crust CRACKS, echoing in the silence. CHUNKS of DARK ICE rock the surface. Athena steps to the pool's edge, peers within... and PLUNGES...

INT. ICY POOL (FOREST OF DEAN) - UNDERWATER - CONTINUOUS ACTION - NIGHT

... SCREAMING in the dark silence of the chill water. She kicks down to the glimmering sword, grabs the hilt and kicks for the surface when... the locket's chain begins to COIL, tightening like a SNAKE about her neck. As the links bite into her throat, she releases the sword and begins to thrash about, struggling to get her fingers under the chain. Realizing it's no use...

Everyone holds their breaths.

...she reaches for the pool's edge, her fingers scrabbling desperately over the ice, but unable to gain purchase. Slowly, her hands go limp and slip from the ice back into... the water, where she drifts slowly down, a slow trail of bubbles escaping her mouth, eyes half-closed as she peers upward, watching as the surface of the water grows slowly calm... peaceful... when... a SHADOW appears and...

... a PAIR of HANDS shatter the glassy surface of the water and Athena is pulled upward and out, landing...

EXT. FOREST OF DEAN - CONTINUOUS ACTION - NIGHT

... face-down on the frigid ground, choking and retching.

Athena: Hermione...

A HAND reaches in, strips the locket from her neck.

Ron: Are -- you -- mental?

"He sounds like Hermione," Barty comments.

Athena's eyes pop open. Standing a few yards away, fully dressed and half-drenched, clutching the sword of -- Gryffindor in one hand and the locket in the other, is Ron. Athena just stares, Ron turns his back to her, she then begins to pull on her clothes.

Athena: It was you!
Ron: Well, yeah. Bit obvious, I'd think.
Athena: And the doe. That was you as well.
Ron: No. I reckoned it was you.
Athena: My Patronus is a doe but that wasn't me.
Ron: Right.