Chapter 13: The Marauders Map

Not a sound. For the longest time. Then... VOICES:

Ron: Looks a bit peaky, doesn't she?
Fred: [Angry and scared] Peaky? What d'you expect her to look like? She fell fifty feet. Are we sure she's going to be okay. I can't loose her
George: [Claps a hand on Fred's shoulder] She'll be okay Freddie don't you worry [turns his attention back to Ron] Yeah, c'mon, Ron. We'll walk you off the Astronomy Tower and see how you come out looking.
Neville: [sarcastically] I think Ron will come out perfectly fine
Athena: Probably a right sight better than he normally does.

Athena opens her eyes and Ron, Fred, George, and Hermione SLOWLY COME INTO FOCUS, standing at the foot of her bed in the hospital wing. Fred quickly rushes to her side and takes her face into his hands, kissing her forehead. She smiles.

Hermione: Athena! How're you feeling?

"Really" Sirius deadpanned, Hermione smiled sheepishly.

Fred is shown helping Athena edge up against her pillow, we see a NURSE in the b.g., removing the SPOKES of an umbrella from a Hufflepuff player's neck. Athena doesn't look so good herself.

Athena: Brilliant
Fred: Gave us a right good scare, love.
Athena: What happened?
Ron: You fell off your broom.
Athena: Really? I meant the match. Who won?

"You can't be serious" asked Andromeda "what? Quidditch is important" Athena said "Yeah well so is your life" Lily proclaimed "potato patato" Athena smiled.

Silence. Uncomfortable glances.

Hermione: No one blames you, Athena. The Dementors aren't meant to come on
the grounds. Dumbledore was furious. After he saved you, he sent them straight off.

Athena nods grimly, stares at the RAIN LASHING the window.

Athena: I can't believe we lost [Hermione gives her a look]
Ron: There's something else you should know, Athena. Your Nimbus -- when it blew away? -- it sort of landed in the Whomping Willow. And well...

He tips a BAG of SPLINTERED WOOD and TWISTED TWIGS onto the bed. As Athena stares, we hear a gentle WIND, then...

All the quidditch players wince.

Athena: Great so not only did we loose but my broom got destroyed

She dramatically pulled the covers of her bed over her head.

Professor Lupin (V.O.): I'm sorry about your broom, Athena. There's no chance of fixing it?
Athena: [Dramatically] No it's done for....I can never play quidditch again

Everyone laughs.

Athena shakes her head whilst responding to Lupin's question, said man laughed at the girls dramatics, then -- WHOOSH! -- sets Hedwig free of her traces. As she soars into the sky, Athena and Lupin watch from the lake's edge.

Athena: Why do they affect me so, Professor? I mean, more than everyone else...
Professor Lupin: Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They feed on every good feeling, every happy memory, until a person is left with nothing but his or hers worst experiences. You're not weak, Athena. The Dementors affect you most, because there are true horrors in your past. Horrors your classmates can scarcely imagine. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

Everyone looked down, remembering what Athena had gone through at such a young age.

Athena: I'm scared, Professor.
Professor Lupin: I'd consider you a fool if you weren't.
Athena: I need to learn how to fight them. You could teach me, Professor. You made that Dementor on the train go away...
Professor Lupin: There was only one that night...
Athena: But you made it go away.
Professor Lupin: [a beat] I don't pretend to be an expert, Athena. But yes, I can teach you. Perhaps after the holiday. For now, though, I need to rest. I'm feeling... tired.