Chapter 12: Substitute teacher

SNAP! Snape PULLS DOWN a SCREEN over the blackboard, turns.

"Hang on I thought Remus taught DADA whys he there" asked a random Hufflepuff.

Snape: Turn to page 394.

As the students eye Snape with guarded curiosity, Malfoy finishes SCRAWLING something on a bit of PARCHMENT and balls it up in his hands. As he opens them, a MOTH flutters from his palms.

Athena: Excuse me, sir, but... where's Professor Lupin?
Snape: That's not really your concern, is it, Potter? Suffice it to say, your Professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. Page 394.
Athena: [whispering] Ugh looks like someone woke up with an attitude

Everyone laughs at Athena's remark whilst Snape glares at the girl.

Ron snorts. Snape waves the MOTH away, blows out a candle and a SLIDE SHOW BEGINS. An ANCIENT WOODCUT of a HORRIFIC BEAST flickers at the front of the room. Ron frowns down at his book.

Ron: Werewolves

"You greasy git" "he knows what he doing" The marauders glare at Snape, those who know of Remus' condition frown.

Hermione:Werewolves? But, sir, we've only just begun learning about Red Caps and
Hinkypunks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks --
Snape:Quiet!
Ron: [to Athena] When did she come in? Did you see her come in...
Snape: Now. Which of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?

The marauders smirk so does Athena, Fred and George.

As the class stares mutely at a SLIDE of an ATTACKING WEREWOLF, Hermione waiting desperately for someone to respond to Snape's question, the moth flutters by Athena. SWAT! She pins it to his desk. A tiny cloud of moth dust mushrooms into the air and Athena lifts her palm. Malfoy's PARCHMENT has reappeared.

Snape:No one? How... disappointing.
Hermione: Please, sir, an Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice in the matter Furthermore, the werewolf actively hunts humans and responds only to the call of its own kind

Malfoy lets out a LOW HOWL.

Snape: Quiet, Malfoy! Though one must admit to feeling your pain. That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Tell me. Are you incapable of restraining yourself? Or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?

"Oh grow up Snape" Lily sneered, shocking many people.

Ron: [to Athena] He's got a point, you know.

Athena stares at the parchment. Malloy had drawn a crude caricature of Athena in her Quidditch robes being STRUCK BY LIGHTNING over and over.

Athena's family and friends glare at the parchment "Sorry Thena" Draco rubbed the back of his neck, Athena just waved it off "it's in the past don't worry"

Snape: Five points from Gryffindor! [to the class] As a antidote to your ignorance, I prescribe two rolls of parchment on the werewolf by Monday morning, with particular emphasis placed on recognizing it [suddenly] Passing notes, Potter?