Chapter 7: The Unforgivable Curses

Dark, autumnal clouds hang over the castle. With a massive thud Moody drops a textbook onto Neville's desk, the same textbook on everybody's desk; The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection.

Mad eye: I see you all slogged down to Flourish & Blotts like good little boys and girls and brought the textbook. Congratulations....it'll make a fine doorstop [turning] I'm Alastor Moody, ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story. Goodbye. The end. Any questions?

Many Aurors and teachers share glances with one another, whilst the golden trio subtly look at Barty, who was too busy trying to push Regulus off his seat.

Moody blue eyes scan the silent classroom, lands on Athena. Athena stares back, willing herself to hold the old warriors horrifying visage. Moody turns away. Takes his flask.

Mad eye: When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach. You may wonder what I mean by that. I'll show you. But first which of you can tell me..[Moody takes a sour tug on the flask, snatches up a specimen jar and watches a spider scuttle within]...how many Unforgivable Curses there are?

"I'm sorry what" gasped Mia, "I understand they need to know about them but aren't they a bit too young?" Continued Andromeda.

The students trade uneasy glances. Finally, Hermione's hand rises tentatively. Athena and Ron are shown starring at the spider, with scared faces. As his real eye continues to stare at the spider, Moody blue eye rotates onto Hermione.

Mad eye: I might've known. Go on Granger
Hermione: There are three, sir –– [Stopping] How did you know...
Mad eye: [Circling again] Your name? I know a bit more than that. You're top of your class –– correct?
Hermione: Yes, Sir...
Mad eye: Naturally inquisitive?
Hermione: Yes....
Mad eye: Socially inept?
Hermione: Well...
Mad eye: And...Muggle born [Whirrr! Moody stops, eye raking over the others] I'm not about to walk into a room full of strangers without doing background. Constant Vigilance!

Moody jabs his staff into the floor, right in front of Athena. As the class jumps, Athena studies Moodys scars.

Mad eye: [to Athena] The devil likes disguises. Never forget that.

Athena stares at Mad eye, tilting her head slightly at his comment. Thinking that there was a hidden meaning behind it. Finally Moody moves on.

"What's wrong Athena?" Questions her grandfather "I thought there was a hidden meaning behind what he said 'the devil likes disguises' doesn't that sound a little bit fishy?" Many pondered for a moment, the Aurors all started nodding in agreement with Athena.

Mad eye: Again, Granger. How many curses?
Hermione: Three.
Mad eye: And they're so named...?
Hermione: Because they're unforgivable. The use of any one of them...
Mad eye:...will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct. Now, the Ministry says you're too young to what these curses do. I say different [turning to the board] You need to know what you're up against. You need to be prepared. You need to find another place to put your gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnegan.

The hall bursts into an uproar, many shouting how he shouldn't show children the curses.

Seamus blinks, caught in the act.

Seamus: [Whispering] Blimey. The old codger can see out of the back of his head....

The hall chuckles slightly. Some still worried for the children.