Chapter 9: Destroying a horcrux

EXT. FOREST - CLOSE ON LOCKET - DAY LYING UPON A TREE STUMP.

Ron leans against a tree, looking pale, Theo and Blaise keep looking at him with worry. Hermione nods to Athena. She raises her wand.

Athena: Dissendium!

The locket spins swiftly in place, but remains whole.

"What the fuck..." Frank stares at the screen with wide eyes.

Hermione: Incendio!

Flames engulf the locket and its metal flesh turns scarlet, but then the flames die.

"It's indestructible?" Amelia asked, the future gen stayed quiet, causing many to start worry.

Athena: Expulso!

The tree stump EXPLODES, but the locket remains unmarked.

Hermione: Confringo!

The ground beneath the stump craters, but the locket remains untouched. Hermione lowers her wand, but Athena continues on, firing a succession of spells, looking almost possessed.

James and Lily share a look and then look at Athena.

Hermione studies her oddly until, finally, she stops. All goes silent except for the leaves shifting in wind above. Then, slowly, another sound comes clear... a TICKING. Coming from the locket.

Everyone shared worried looks.

Ron: It's angry.
Theo: Very angry

Hermione shivers. Athena steps forward, kneels down and takes the locket by its chain. It TICKS. She slings it over her neck. Rises.

Hermione: What're you doing?
Athena: We have to keep it safe until we can figure out how to destroy it.
Blaise: We can put it in Hermione's bag --
Athena: No
Ron: Seems strange, mate. Dumbledore
sends you off to find a load of Horcruxes, but doesn't bother to tell you how to destroy them. Doesn't that bother you?

"It fucking bothers me!" James spat and glared at Dumbledore.

Athena studies the locket, whose TICKING has slowed, then walks off. Hermione eyes Ron, who returns her glance, then pushes away from the tree and walks off slowly in the opposite direction.

Theo: I have a bad feeling about this
Hermione: Me too

"Same," said the whole hall.

INT. TENT - DUSK

Ron lies on his cot, fiddling with the radio. VOICES surface in the STATIC briefly, then fade.

EXT. ENCAMPMENT - SAME TIME - DUSK

Athena turns the MIRROR SHARD over in her fingers, then eyes Hermione collecting flowers in the distance. She looks beautiful. Seeing her, she smiles, waves, moves on. The RADIO SPITS STATIC and she TILTS THE MIRROR so she can see Ron. He looks annoyed, but holds her tongue and slips the mirror in her pocket. Noticing the locket, she slips it from her shirt, studies the fissures in the locket's metal skin. Suddenly she WINCES. The locket spills from her palm, dances upon the chain. The SKIN encircling her scar CONSTRICTS.

James and Lily grip onto Athena.

Voldemort V.O.): Tell me, Gregorovitch. Tell me where it is...

INT. WANDSHOP - BACK ROOM - NIGHT 93

An OLD MAN (GREGOROVITCH) with pure-white hair and a bushy beard cowers in a dark corner.