Chapter 42

NANDINI'S POV

I palmed my face with both my hands. Bhai just pressed my shoulder standing beside me.

We were still sitting in the hall. I don't know what is happening with Dad.

What is he thinking? Is he angry? Is he sad?

I just cried at my situation. I couldn't lift my head and look at Dad. I was ashamed.

Why did Manik have to tell that l dance without dad knowing?

I heard some footsteps coming near me and looked up to see Manik. I gave him an accused look and he just looked at me back.

"Nan.." he was going to say but I stopped with my hand. "I told you not to" I muttered and he sighed.

I looked around to see all the guests looking at us, so I kept my voice low.

"Listen Nan.." I closed my eyes and opened them again to glare at Manik.

"Please don't" I said and tears again started trickling down. He gave me an annoyed look and pulled me to stand.

He hugged me and I wriggled in his arms. "Let me go" I said crying. "Shhhh!!" he patted my back and I cried more.

I looked at Dad who was still silent with a blank look.

"Dad is angry" I said crying. "He is not" Manik said and I sniffed pulling apart. I looked at him and he blinked his eyes in assurance.

"How do you know?" I gritted my teeth. "I know it" he winked wiping my tears.

I sat on the chair again and closed my eyes. It was too much to handle. Atleast Dad isn't reacting. I want him to react. To scold me or atleast slap me. I can't bear his silence.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Manik don't" I said irritatedly and heard him chuckle.

He patted my shoulder and I just sighed. "I said don't..." I stopped opening my eyes.

Dad was standing infront of me. I immediately stood up and I could feel nervousness all over me. I looked at Manik to see him smiling.

How can he smile when I am dying here?

"Da..dad" I opened and closed my mouth few times but no words were coming.

"I am sorry" I cried looking down.

He gently cupped my cheeks and I looked at him shocked. Isn't he angry? He wiped my tears and I sniffed trying not to cry.

"Why are you sorry? I am sorry" he gave a small smile but I could see tears in his eyes.

"Noo, I know...you.. just wanted to protect me" I cried looking down again and he raised my chin to look at him.

"But it was in the cost of your happiness" he said and tears trickled down.

"Noo, whatever you do is for my good only. Don't cry" I said wiping his tears.

"I dint knew what I was doing. My daughter had to hide the fact from me that she still dances. I thought I made my children comfortable. But, I was controlling" he chuckled sadly and I immediately shook my head.

"No papa..you were not controlling" I held his hand.

"I was" he shook his head.

"I am stupid to think that you would also suffer due to dance. I...I..was mad not to see that you..you enjoyed dancing. I stupidly related you and my mother. It was just fate which happened to her. It's..it's not compulsory for the same to happen to you" he palmed his face and cried. Mom came and placed her hand on Dad's shoulder.