CHAPTER 4

Valerie's POV

The plan worked.

I almost burst out laughing when I first saw the look on his face. It was a combination of confusion and anger.

He is obviously an impatient man. I came late on purpose and I am dressed this way on purpose too.

I want to spite him. I am only here for a reason, not because I actually want to go ahead with the so-called silly betrothal and marriage preparations.

No matter how much I think of this, it irks me and I want to do something to defy my parents for taking a major decision like this on my behalf.

I have every right to go against them. I have every right to make decisions for myself. I am not a child.

Finding Brenda in Fred's apartment last night is the result of my decision to come here. I never intended to. 

I was betrayed by my two best friends and I want to take my revenge on them.

Mother was right. Fred isn't good for me.

At first, I was giving him reasons to justify his actions but now it is clear to the eyes that he wants my friend too. He doesn't love me. If he loves me, he wouldn't cheat on me with my best friend.

That is the height of it.

"You know what? I am done here", the man before me stands up abruptly, dragging the chair back.

"Hey", I call back to him before he left. 

He doesn't look bad. I didn't expect to meet a good-looking man like him to be my groom-to-be but that isn't the problem now.

We need to talk.

I don't want him to find me attractive which is why I came up with the only thing that came to my head.

Dressing up like a clown.

He must have reserved the whole place for us because we are the only ones here. It isn't evening yet and the CLOSED sign has been placed outside of the restaurant already.

I guess this is one of the powers of being a billionaire. Mother emphasized that. She said he was a billionaire and famous.

I guess I can take advantage of him and his status too, can't I?

"What do you think you are here for dressed this way?" He thunders at me angrily, his blue eyes glaring at me with ice.

I almost shudder but I keep my cool. If this is the man I have to contend with to get back at Fred and Brenda, then I have to be brave and not let him intimidate me.

"Do you think I have time for jokes and…"

"Why are we here, Mr man?" I cut him short, quickly, my gaze not leaving his. His broad shoulder is raised high up as his frown deepens and he continues to stare at me.