CHAPTER 22

Ryan's POV

For the first time in years, my conscience is judging me for how I acted to Valerie's accusation last night and how she expected something else from me.

I am not supposed to feel bad for her because she is not a good person but I can't help not feeling bad for not being there just like she expected of me.

She was right.

I am selfish. She helped me but it never crossed my mind to help make her ex-boyfriend jealous and for him to realize what he has lost.

This might be because I really feel that losing her is a great thing. After all, she is full of trouble and no man might want to be with her.

I feel this is why he broke up with her. But on second thoughts, it is obvious they both loved each other despite her shortcomings but they broke things up because he cheated.

Why do men cheat?

This takes me back on memory lane and makes me sigh as I sit at the back of the car with a box in my hand.

I am going home.

I bought a gift for Valerie to apologize for what I said last night. If I think about all she has done, I won't apologize but I need to apologize because she is helping me despite everything.

She has every right to ruin it all. She can ruin everything for me but she isn't doing anything.

She ignored me this morning and even after I told her that the contract has been revised and she needs to sign it.

She ignored me like a piece of trash. I kept the contract beside her on the bed before leaving for work.

Now that I am going back home, my mind is filled with her thoughts. I wonder what she is doing right now and if she is thinking about that guy or not.

Valerie remains a mystery to me and I wonder if I will ever be able to solve the puzzle of her existence.

I expected her to cry it out after we left the club. But she didn't and I wonder if she is truly heartbroken.

Do people not cry when they are heartbroken? Her dried eyes and the smiles on her face made my confusion increase and my analysis of her more jumbled.

I guess she is pretending. She is so good at it anyway.

I rub my hands over the box, hoping she will accept my apology.

The car drives into the courtyard and I quickly dump the box into my briefcase before picking the briefcase up to go out.

John opens the car door for me and I step out, taking long strides toward the front door.