CHAPTER 15

Ryan's POV

I was slightly frightened when she spoke up. I never thought I would meet her up here in my room. It was the least I expected.

My banging headache, my sorrow and the bad effect the rain has on me today aren't helping matters.

I came into the room with my eyes close. I just wanted everything to go back to normal; the way it used to be when I had no problem in the world and even if I do, I always go home to talk to mom about it and it will be resolved. Most of the problems I always had always had to do with my company. Mother is always ready to help.

Sometimes, when I need Dad's help, I indirectly sort out his help by going to my mom. She is my backbone. She gives me a shoulder to lean on. She is my mentor.

She is a good woman with a heart of gold. 

Why is Valerie in my room? I ask inwardly when she waves a hand at me to jerk me out of my reverie.

The headache I am feeling is a result of the accumulated stress and also the thinking I have been doing all morning. I am supposed to go on a vacation with Valerie as a getaway from work because of how hard I have been working but finding myself stuck with a woman as crazy as she is does not make the thought of a break exciting.

"Hey, Ryan. What is wrong with you?" She shouts, her eyes bulging out and her skin pale white.

As calm as I can, I ask. "What are you doing here?"

She shrugs and slumps back on the bed. "I was scared of the sound of the thunder so I asked the guards to bring my things here so I can…"

"We are not to share a room", I remind her. It will be stated in the contract.

"We are not to share a bed, not a room. That is why I brought my bed along."

I can't share a room with her. Not even in this situation. Not when I have a lot of things going on and I have to find a solution to the problem at hand.

I really do not have the time and strength for Valerie's troubles now till the problem is sorted out.

Anita still doesn't want to believe that there might be a solution somewhere. I told her to believe that mother can survive it but she won't believe me. She won't even allow me to talk to mom and I don't know what to tell mother when next we meet.

I haven't spoken to my doctor yet and I guess it is because of the fear of what I would hear from him. I don't want him to tell me the same thing Anita is telling me. 

She is a medical student and she knows what she is saying but I don't want to believe that. Maybe she isn't experienced enough to know that there will be a way out.

"It seems you have a lot on your mind. Let me leave you…", Valerie lays back on the bed, dragging the comforter to her chin.