CHAPTER 13

Ryan's POV

My gaze darts outside the car window, watching the rain pattering and the droplets sliding down the window as I ignore the fear consuming my insides.

I left the office before the rain began so I could come back to my parent's mansion to see mom or dad.

But on second thought, I decided to see Anita instead. Mom will never tell me what it is. Dad must have sworn to secrecy never to tell me either and it's breaking me. 

Curiosity is killing me.

My mother is dying and I didn't even notice a strange thing? Is this how much I have distanced myself from my family?

What exactly is happening? Where exactly is it hurting? Why did Anita use the word "dying" instead of sick? Is it something incurable? 

Mother doesn't even look sick. She looks as healthy as always. She even looks more beautiful recently and the thought of it almost makes me tear up.

My mother can't die. No.

I will do everything in my power to see to it that she survives this but first I need to know the source of the ailment and then I am going to contact my doctor.

Tonight.

Everything will be sorted out tonight.

I am jolted alert when a knock comes on the car window and I snap my head to see Anita standing in the rain with an umbrella.

I kept asking her what she meant by dying earlier this morning but she wouldn't say a word no matter how much I insisted. She cried and left me alone in the living room.

I went back to work feeling empty and full of grief and fear of what is to come.

I open the door quickly before my driver can allow her in. As soon as I shift to the other side, she gets in beside me, dropping the umbrella at the back of the car.

She closes the door and we sit in silence for a while, watching the rain.

Rainfall is something I always look forward to. I love the sight of it and the smell which brings a sort of comfort to me whenever I am stressed out and frustrated.

But today, I am not receiving any comfort from this rain. The silence between Anita and me suddenly becomes awkward.

Something is wrong.

Anita is always full of life and laughter. If she was trying to play a prank on me, she would have called me at the office to tell me.

I turn to her eventually.

"Anita, what is happening?" I can't hold on any longer. The earlier she tells me, the better. I will find a solution.