CHAPTER 43

Ryan's POV

Her hands circle around my waist as she restricts me from punching the idiot once again.

I have no explanation for my anger and resentment towards him but I guess the sight of Celina is adding all to this.

Tingles rush down my spine at her touch, calming my nerves and making me stare at her pretty hands, wishing for them to stay this way.

"Fred, stop this!" Celina's voice jerks me out of my reverie. Fred is rushing towards me and she manages to push him away. "What is wrong with you?!" She shouts at him as he falls on his buttocks.

I wonder what kind of relationship they have but I guess I have no business with that.

I drop my hands and take a hold of Valerie's two hands. Twirling around, I face her face. She looks frightened and I have never seen her this way before. Even the night she got attacked, she didn't have this expression on her face.

Impulsively, I pull her into a hug. This hug is meant to comfort her, to reduce the fear but I am also deriving comfort from it too.

I am glad she broke up with him. I am glad she is with me and not him. I am sure she cares about me and not him. I thought she was going to fight me for punching him but she is obviously worried that I would get hurt as well.

When I pull away, she is at the brim of tears. I hold her face in between my hands and peck her forehead.

She is tense. 

Realizing what I am doing, I step away from her and help her to the car without looking back to see what is going on between Celina and Fred.

In silence, we climb into the car and shut the door. John must have been watching the whole drama because of the surprised look on his face.

Fred should be glad that I no longer go out with my bodyguards. If I was still going out with them, then he would have himself to blame for wanting to call my wife names.

I remember what he said about the major reason why Valerie broke things up with him and curiosity fills me up.

Valerie tries to wrench her hand away from me, making it dawn on me that I am still holding her hand.

She has a faraway look on her face as I take my hand off her. My curiosity is getting the better of me, forcing me to ask her questions despite the heavy silence.

The car jerks to life and we ride in silence until we get home ten minutes later.

John comes down to open the door for us and she gets out. I follow.

I wonder why she isn't saying anything. Is it because of Fred? Why isn't she asking me how I got to know the girl we saw with her ex-boyfriend?

We take the stairs up to our room. When she turns the doorknob to enter, her stomach rumbles.