CHAPTER 33

Ryan's POV

I was mad at Valerie but the moment she lost consciousness, my anger disappeared and I found myself shouting at John to drive faster till we got to the hospital.

The doctor attended to her and it wasn't really a big deal. She was only bleeding too much.

I didn't want her to spend the night there so I carried her back into the car and we left for home. 

Deep in thought, I feel a movement beside me and she flutters her eyes open to see me staring.

She was sleeping when we left the hospital but the doctor said she is fine.

"What happened?" She groans, closing her eyes and opening them again.

I was so scared something bad was going to happen to her. But now I am relieved. She might be a handful but I care about her because she is my wife and her safety is my responsibility.

"We are going home", I reply and look away. I don't know if she remembers how it all happened and the fact that we are just coming back from the hospital by this time or maybe she doesn't want to talk about it.

She is quiet.

After a while, I turn to see her staring. I almost think she has fallen back into a deep slumber.

"Out with it", she says like a command. If it came out louder than she is speaking at the moment, it would have been heavily laced with authority.

"What?" Confusion skates my expression.

"What is on your mind? Spill!"

I roll my eyes and look away. "There is nothing on my mind."

I am no longer angry but if she keeps talking about it and reminding me about what she did, the anger might come back.

"Shout at me if you want, I won't shout back", she mutters, making it sound like a promise and I almost laugh out loud.

"Really?" She nods. "Finally, you admit you love to shout."

"I never said I don't shout or deny the fact that I do."

I nod.

That's right.

We continue the rest of the journey in silence. And when the gate opens to allow the car to drive in, I heave a deep sigh of relief.

It is almost past midnight.

I carry Valerie without hesitation, while John gets down from the car to pick up her phone and purse.

The front door is thrown open for me and I enter. I take the staircase up to my room, ignoring how heavy she is.