CHAPTER 20

Ryan's POV

Valerie is still a mystery to me and I can't seem to figure her out. One minute, she is barking out in a loud voice, making me angry and looking angry as well and the other minutes, she looks like someone who has no care in the work with her nonchalant attitude.

Sometimes, I wonder if she truly loved her ex because she didn't look like one who was capable of loving and she didn't look like someone heartbroken by the one she loved.

I can't say what love is, except for one thing. My Mother.

She made me understand the true definition of love. It is always unconditional. If it is true and pure. She made me know that there are different types of love and there are different things that lead to love.

Lust and attraction can drive you to the gates of love. Lust and Attraction can also be mistaken for love.

All my life, all I had ever felt was lust for women who could satisfy my sexual desires.

There was once a time when I was always frequenting clubs and night parties. The days when I was called a rebel and an irresponsible teenager when all I only wanted was to experience everything my Mother told me about and even those things she never told me about.

I used to come to the clubs, to get drunk and get laid.

But now, I can't believe it feels strange like I never had a life in this place. 

Partying.

The loud music hits my earlobe, making me cringe and hold my two hands together over my ears as Valerie pushes me in.

I didn't want to come. Not because I don't want to be reminded of that lifestyle I left behind before I succeeded my Father. 

I just felt I had no reason to come here.

My mother is sick and dying and partying should be the last thing on my mind that I should be doing.

But Valerie never takes a no for an answer. I guess she already influences my workers too because John didn't even listen to my protest for us not to come here.

Valerie grinned when the car stopped in front of the club. That sort of grin that exudes victory.

"Drop your hands, let's dance", she shouts into my ears, making me drop my hands away instantly.

The whole place is crowded and women are dancing. The music is fast and loud and they are keeping up with it.

I am not a dancer. I suck at dancing. I can't even remember if I ever tried dancing all my life.

Despite how much I used to come partying, having the time of my life, and finding a beautiful girl with just a stare, something seemed to be missing.