CHAPTER 18

Valerie's POV

For the very first time in years, I feel great sympathy for someone who isn't Fred or Brenda or my parents. 

My life has always revolved around these people; my parents, my ex-boyfriend, and my best friend. They mean so much to me and I loved them without any care in the world.

I can do anything to make them happy as long as I am also happy and my heart flutters. Seeing them happy invariably makes me happy too, so I make efforts.

But today, I find myself wishing things are different and Mrs. Lorenzo isn't sick. Ryan doesn't look himself. It looks like his real self is out of that body.

He was just nodding meekly to everything I said with a far distant look on his face. I read people's actions as well as the words that come out of their mouths.

Mother calls me a psychic.

I just love doing that. Thankfully, we didn't fight today. It feels like we have been married for a hundred years and today feels like one out of the thousand days that we have no reason to bicker words at each other.

I wish there is something I can do to help.

The woman seems healthy as a horse and she is all smiles. Whenever she exchanges glances with Ryan, the smile will vanish and Ryan isn't smiling too.

That look is still on his face. He seems lost. As though he had been abandoned on the roadside by this woman.

I can imagine in my head what he might be thinking right now. Probably blaming the poor woman for allowing herself to become ill. Or possibly wishing this isn't happening to her too.

I can see the bond. He shares a strong special bond with her and her death will leave him broken.

She doesn't even look like a woman who is dying. And I am beginning to love her. She is jovial and cheerful. She is also graceful as she hugged me in her elegant dinner gown.

I was blaming myself for not wearing something much more beautiful than my simple dress. I am sure she looks more beautiful than I am.

After dinner, I held out my hands for her and she took it. I don't know my way around but I find myself walking out of the house with her into the courtyard, the evening air brushing our faces as we fall silent.

"How is married life treating you?" She breaks the long moment of silence as we approach the tent in the courtyard where there are two chairs.

I nod eagerly. "Very well, I would say."

Expecting her to ask more questions, I keep mute but she isn't saying anything anymore.

We get to the tent and we sit with crossed legs. She looks calm and peaceful as she stares into space, a little smile on her beautiful face.