CHAPTER 23

Valerie's POV

Each time I see or think about him, I feel the urge to do something rash; to hurt him for betraying me.

As much as I don't want to take any revenge on him anymore, I am tempted to take back my words and do the needful, then maybe I will finally be happy.

I don't like how I feel at the moment. The sinking feeling is back, probably because I am disappointed to have seen him today again, this time not with Brenda but with a different girl.

That jolting is gone. All I feel for him now is pure hatred. I wish I could turn back the hands of the clock and make sure that our paths never crossed.

I wished I wasn't that curious to know more about him which made me fall deeply in love with him. I wish I hadn't said yes to him when he asked me to become his girlfriend.

Reluctantly, I drop my bag and take off my shoes before sitting quietly on the bed, ignoring my weak limbs.

I ordered the maids to bring my bed back to my room even though it is still cold but I will manage. I heard the weather forecast today and it might not rain in a few days.

Besides, I wanted a quiet moment. Staying with Ryan in the same room isn't the best solution. I am not talking about the silent treatment we have been giving each other. I just want to be left alone with my thoughts today.

Before I can get up from the bed to change into a towel so I can take a shower, a knock comes on the door and I need no soothsayer to tell me who it is.

Ryan.

Maybe he is here to ask me why I left his room. I thought he wasn't ok with the idea of having me sleep in his room, why does he bother now whether I am out of his room or not?

"Come in", I say lazily without getting up from the bed, my two hands holding onto the sheets of the bed.

The door is pushed open and he comes in with his briefcase. He hasn't changed yet which shows that he hasn't gone into his room yet.

"Hi", he greets, with a wave of the hand.

I take my eyes off him and reply. "Hi."

"Are you ok?"

His question makes me jerk my head back up in curiosity. Why is he asking me if I am fine? Does he even care? All he wants is to get the construction company he was promised if he married me. He is just a selfish jerk.

He has an anticipated look on his face, as though he is expecting a reply to his question.

I am really not in the mood for arguments.

"Why are you here?"

"I was wondering where you went…", he trails off and laughs nervously. This is when I see his left hand hiding behind him.