CHAPTER 99

Ryan's POV 

The denial and her expression said it all; she doesn't want the baby and it takes me back to my shell of grieving.

Hearing about the news of a baby coming made me forget my sorrows for a second and reduced the pain of losing someone who means so much to me.

I am not superstitious but it felt as if the baby was going to be a replacement for my dead Mother. Now, my hope has been shattered by Valerie's outburst and confidence about not being pregnant.

Her parents were extremely shocked too. It proved to me that I was wrong about her joking over a serious matter like that.

I didn't say a word. I just remained quiet till when it was time to discharge her and we came home.

It's been days and Valerie isn't saying anything yet about the baby. If she doesn't feel the baby, then am I supposed to wait till her belly begins to protrude before bringing this issue up and resolving it once and for all?

The baby is a blessing. 

Coming to us at this time is a blessing, why then does she keep denying the fact that the diagnosis isn't fake like she is thinking?

I don't even need to go to another hospital to confirm our suspicions. She is pregnant and that is it.

I rise from my desk to go to our room where she is always laying down like someone who is about to die. I haven't been able to go to the office either; because I am still mourning and because I want to make sure that she doesn't do something rash.

We need to talk. If she doesn't want the baby, she can tell me. She doesn't need to hide behind the facade of a fake diagnosis.

Just before I can get to the door, a knock resounds, making me halt and look towards the door.

The maids barely come here to disturb me. Before I can think of who it can be, the door slightly opens and Valerie peeps in.

"Ryan, are you busy?" Her hair is disheveled and her eyes are swollen as if she has been crying all day.

"No", I purse my lips into a thin line as I reply with a shake of the head.

She comes fully in and closes the door quietly behind her. I was just about to go meet her and here she is but I can't find my voice. I don't know what she is thinking but this is definitely one of the moments where I always wish to know what goes on in that big head of hers.

With her hands clasped behind her as she stands, we both remain silent. Her head is bowed but I am staring at her waiting for her to speak up.

While standing there, she looks really timid and it almost makes me laugh. I have never seen her this way and it makes my curiosity go over the edge.

"Val…"

"Ryan…"

We both call simultaneously, our eyes meeting. She bites her lower lip in embarrassment and I chuckle and move closer to her.

The way she calls my name does a lot of unspeakable things to my body. Now, I am realizing just how much she calls my real name and how barely she calls me with sweet names like honey, love, sweetheart, baby, and the rest.

However, I also love calling her Val too instead of something else. I love her name just as much as I love her.

Now, I know what is wrong. I can see it in her eyes. 

Fear.

What exactly she is scared of is what I have no idea about. If she is scared, then it means she believes the baby is there. She doesn't need to feel pregnant to be pregnant.