CHAPTER 3

And finally looked to his right side, facing his brother with a face which had no emotions but voice too deep that it immediately sent shivers to everyone who occupied the chambers,he said " Qiren...come to my chambers this evening, and tell me why you brutally punished my Lao Po" Lan Qiren gasped and his heart skipped it's normal beat.

Lan Qiren understood his brother very well, he knew the meaning behind those words and fear,guilt and regret filled his heart, he knew what his brother meant. Lan Qingheng-Jun never used the term " my Lao Po" when talking to Lan Qiren about Lan Furen before. Now that he used it he felt his insides become cold , he felt like their brotherly bond detached from his brother and then a feeling of loneliness creeped in.

He regreted taking decisions himself, even when the elders pleaded for him to wait for his brother to come back he denied stating that if he doesn't carry out her punishment, the members in their clan would think that he favoured Lan Furen because he usually carried punishment in Lan Qingheng-Jun's absence before. The elders still pleaded with him but Lan Qiren wasn't listening and wasn't taking it.

He now knew what the elders were trying to protect him from, because the one wanted punished wasn't just a desciple but his brother's wife. Having conflicts with his brother was something he dreaded, his brother was everything to him and his only family left in the entire cultivation world. He knew he messed up, he knew he created a drift between them which would only drift further apart from each other that there was no way to fix it and even a bridge couldn't connect it anymore.

Lan Qingheng-Jun carried his wife to their chambers and gently lay her by her stomach on the bed and prepared warm water with some medicinal herbs to treat his wife's wounds, this he wanted to do while Lan Furen had passed out because he knew how agonising it would be if he was to treat her while she was awake. He wiped her entire body clean and changed her hanfu before sitting down fixing his posture and started meditating.

He knew he had to transfer his spiritual energy to his wife to lessen her pain, he had to meditate as long as possible. His spiritual energy was weakening and he had to go on meditation for 2 to 3 days sometimes to be able to go on night hunts and sometimes for a day if he was to attend the meeting for all sects. No one knew that the great, feared and powerful Lan clan leader Lan Qingheng-Jun was getting weaker by the day except his wife Lan Furen.

It was later in the evening that Lan Qiren was busy preparing himself to go meet with his brother, he was fixing his robes and his heart couldn't calm down. He sat on the chair by the table and poured himself some tea to calm himself down, he kept thinking about Lan Qingheng-Jun's words but it was never about ht words but the tone he used. He had never heard that time before and suddenly that tone broke everything in him that he became scared but not scared for punishment or his brother's scolding. He was scared of their brotherly bond being broken the most.

He finished his tea and walked to his brother's chambers, he stood outside for a minute or so before knocking. He heard his brother's voice telling to come in, it was that voice, the voice he knew and loved to hear everyday even when they were still growing up. That voice, his brother used it for him only and no matter how old they were he still used it like always. He walked in and close the door, turned to face his brother and he was stunned to find his brother was right next to him.

His face was different from how it was in the morning when he left the punishment hall, he placed his arms on Lan Qiren's shoulders and smiled. "Come in brother, let have some tea" he said and Lan Qiren was completely stunned. He was confused by his elder brother's actions, he expected him to be angry as he had prepared during the day for it and now his brother was suddenly being his usual self around him and even gesturing him to sit down to come in, to sit down and to have tea together. This didn't make any sense to him at all

Lan Qiren sat down eyes still on his brother and watched as he poured his favourite tea for both of them and handed him the tea cup. He took the cup and waited for Lan Qingheng-Jun to take a sip first as a gesture for respect, then sipped his after Lan Qingheng-Jun sipped his. They drank their tea in silence and not even a sipping sound of the hot tea was heard, the room was silent that even a needle could be heard and found if it was to be dropped.

After they finished their tea, Lan Qingheng-Jun with eyes focusing on the empty tea cup on his hand smiled and finally placed it on the table. He took a deep breath and said " are you still not fond of your sister in law? " This question made Lan Qiren still in his chair and he gasped as he thought his brother might have already forgot a little about their conversation that happened in the past. He immediately felt a sharp pain in his chest as all the events that took place 11years ago came flooding his mind again.

'What have I done? I thought I had meditated enough and prayed the Gods to forgive my mistake. I thought things were different now... What have I done?' Lan Qiren thought to himself