CHAPTER 30

Lan Xichen walked towards the meditation room when they after arriving from his father's house and held Lan Zhan by his tiny hand. He wanted to fulfill the promise he made to his mother and the start of it was to play calming music for him little Wanji. After meditating for 3hours than usual Lan Zhan opened his eyes only to see his brother's face closer to his, he didn't give a reaction or say anything, as usual but then he diverted his eyes. Lan Xichen giggled and said " Wanji, you have been meditating for 3whole hours so I wanted to check if you're alright. Let's go sleep I'm a little tired today" he yawned and Lan Zhan lifted the corner of his lip before standing up and held his brother's hand to go to their room and sleep. Lan Xichen always wanted Lan Zhan by his side that he even wanted to sleep with him in his room on the same bed.

Lan Qiren denied at first but he later agreed, he saw that the boys were more closer to each other and with Lan Xichen being the only one to trully understand Lan Zhan, he had no choice. So he waited for the boys to sleep before he went out to inform the elders about his brother and his wife's passing, the elders were shocked but they respected their clan leader's decision. They took a few desciple both male and female and the female went to Lan Furen's house while males went to Lan Qingheng-Jun's house and they prepared their bodies for burial.
( Guys I'm not gonna write about their burial cause I don't wanna insult Chinese tradition, I don't even want to do research on it cause I think some things are better left unspoken in respect of the dead and their tradition, thanks😍)

Four weeks passed after their parents passing and the Lan Xichen was doing better than expected,he had fully taken the role of being an elder brother so well that he was doing everything for his Wanji. He had to be strong for his brother and he made sure to do exactly what his mother had told him to do, even giving Lan Zhan enough food and even when he showed he was full, Lan Xichen would ask him to eat atleast two mouth fills for and he would. Things were going well but Lan had disappeared on several occasions in the past month and they didn't know where he was and when he came back he would not answer where he was. Both Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen became worried and they made it their mission to follow him next time when he went out, and they did. They wanted to find out why Lan Zhan dissapeared 3times a week after classes.

One cold and snowy afternoon after their classes had finished, Lan Zhan took his books and went out. He didn't tell Lan Xichen that he was going he just went out of class, Lan Xichen went to inform his uncle who was talking with the elders about Lan Zhan's studies. He told his uncle and that Lan Zhan had left and they immediately followed, he hadn't gone that far because of his small feet so they easily followed without him realising it. They guessed where he was going as they both looked at each other as he took a familiar route, they saw him open the gate and enter. Walked to the front door and knocked several times and got off the porch and knelt on the snow. His robes became wet because of the snow but he didn't care, they stood outside the gate and watched him from afar and waited for him to come out but he didn't. They were sure he would come out when it started snowing but he didn't , they waited as it was becoming too cold to stand outside and they thought Lan Zhan would come out but he didn't.

The snow became heavier as his hair, eyesbrows and eye lashes froze from snow but he didn't care. It was like he didn't feel the coldness as he just blinked a few times and didn't bother rubbing off the snow that froze his eyelids. Lan Qiren saw that he wouldn't go so he opened the gate and went in after telling Lan Xichen to wait for him outside. He walked to where Lan Zhan was and stood beside him and asked him to come home with him, but Lan Zhan didn't even look his way as he spoke and he didn't answered as usual. Lan Qiren tried several times and when Lan Xichen saw that his uncle's fatherly coaxing wasn't helping he opened the gate and went inside. He went by Lan Zhan's side and knelt beside him, he looked at Lan Zhan and said " Wanji, I know uncle told you that mom and dad were gone but you didn't understand because you are still little to know what it means." He looked at him in the eyes trying to see some emotions but Lan Xichen failed this time, Lan Zhan didn't even show him any.

" Right now you don't understand Wanji but you will when you grow up, I will tell you everything when you grow up I promise." Lan Zhan looked at his brother and said " Ge ge, the kids in my class said mother was a bad person and he killed someone important to father, they said she was evil and that's why she ran away from us. Ge ge, did mother run away from us?" Those words deeply cut Lan Qiren who now understood why his nephew didn't like to be near other student, the thought of his baby nephew being bullied at in class made him burn with anger. He was sure that when they got back, he would call the parents of the kids who were talking bad things about his family. He couldn't understand how elders would talk about such a sensitive matter infront of the kids for them to spread it in class like that. For the Lan Clan, talking bad behind people's back was not allowed and he realised how many rules the kids had broken already and worst of them all...they bullied his baby nephew, for him...they had gone too far. He thought Lan Zhan was done talking when Lan Zhan said something that made him fume and clench his fist so tight that his hands became pale white like the snow that was falling.