CHAPTER 66

Wei Ying held his breath in trying not to exchange breaths with the one infront of him. His eyes bulging out like they were about to pop out and mind blank as a sheet. He gulped down heavily, his body shaking like an autumn leaf trying to find its way off the tree.

The familiarity of what's infront of him hit all his senses as he remembered that this scene happened a few hours ago, only this time he could see what the intruders were. It's not he knew exactly what it was since he was never exposed to such things. All he could describe as he kept looking frozen in fear was the bad breath which instantly hit his nostrils when he was woken up by it twice, long ears which perked up and it was a little bigger that him when sitting down. He wanted so much to scream but his voice left his vocal cord, the 'thing' infront of him, as he described it was busy sniffing him and this was all it took to push him to the limit. He tried to scream again but only a squeal was all he managed, he tried again and nothing changed. He saw it trying to take his bad dumplings while other where surrounding him fighting off the one at the front, they barked and growled and this was all it took to make Wei Ying pass out.

When he woke up it was already late morning and people were going about on the street, others were drinking and laughing while others were shouting and selling their merchandise when some were just passing. He was surprised why no one noticed him and or ask why he was sleeping there. As he was busy thinking he heard a man shouting and swearing at someone and he turned back only to see an old lady asking for food from the fruit seller at the corner of the street. She was pushed to the ground by the fruit seller because he didn't want her infront of his stall, the old lady tried to stand up but she was weak to do so. Wei Ying was so heartbroken, he had been in Yungmeng for only a few hours and even thought he liked the city at first glance he was not impressed by how people treated each other. He ran to the old woman and helped her stand up, she looked like she was used to the treatment because she didn't even look bothered. She just stood up and thanked Wei Ying before going on her another stall to beg for food.

He looked around and he thought to himself that nothing was as it should be, people had an utmost hate or shall he say...disregard for one another. He walked away from the street heading to the river which he saw while passing by yesterday, he took off his robes and rinsed them in the river after drinking and bathing. He looked around for a spot to lay down and rest since he wasn't able to do that last night, he took a nap after he hanged his robes to dry. When he woke up it was late afternoon, he put on his robes and headed back to the city. He sat by the entrance of the same Inn the young man told him to wait at the previous day, he thought maybe he might pass by and see him there. Day turned into night and the young man didn't show up, he stood up again to look for food again but this time there was none, not even a rotten dumpling thrown into the trash bucket.

A week passed as it turned into months, 7 months to be exact and he no longer had hope of finding the young man, he had already gotten the hang of things and he was now well known as some would throw him a silver to buy something to eat after helping them while other would throw food down his feet for him to eat. He was heartbroken by the acts but what could he do, his spiritual voice never spoke to him again since that day they had a conversation. The money he earned from people to load or offload their goods from and to the carts from the stores was not even enough for him, so...he used it to buy two buns for the old lady who was always begging for food but never given any. For himself...well ...he didn't care much what he ate, he would sometimes watch the stall owners feed their dogs left over food or deserts and he would distract the dog only for a few seconds and snatch the food away from them. Sometimes...well...sometimes he wasn't so lucky as the dogs would gang up on him fighting for their food while Wei Ying chowed then down his mouth while crying as the dogs bit him everywhere.

The dogs didn't like Wei Ying much and everytime they saw him, they would chase him and they wouldn't stop until he ran to the forest and dissapeared in the thick bushes. He had gotten used to the way of people, no one cares if you're a child or an old lady because they would not even spare a glance at you, so he minded his own business. He went to the corner where he always slept in and tried to get some sleep as he got so excited for the following day. A smile never left his face throughout the months but the thought of the following day made him more happy. He closed his eyes and tried to get some rest since he was so tired from running away from the dogs, which happend everyday. He was about to fall into deep sleep when he heard growls around him and when he opened his eyes, dogs were surrounding him, they had unending grudge against him and they didn't care if he was sleeping or walking or whatever it was he was doing, as long as they saw him.. they would bite him so much so that he would get sick from infections from the bites. He would go to the river to wash his wounds and by then his wounds would be infected so badly that he was sometimes unable to stand or go find food for a few days because of fever.

His health was getting weaker and weaker and by the looks of things, if he lived on the streets for a couple more days...he wouldn't survive it. After the dogs bit him they left and he was so badly injured that he couldn't even stand up and walk a few steps to spot he slept on. So he laid right there and tried to sleep. He was in so much pain that he cried the while night. He couldn't move him limbs while blood seeped out of the bite wounds staining his clothes red, his face had scratches legs and hands but the deepest bite was on his thigh and arms. Everything he touched was painful to even wipe his tears.