CHAPTER 67

Wei Ying laid there on the street crying so much that it became difficult for him to sleep, he already had bite wounds which haven't healed yet and they were also affected. His cries were so painful that even the old woman who he used to help was heartbroken by them, she was also used to sleep on the streets and she came out of her newly found corner when she heard him. She walked slowly as she had blisters which would occasionally bleed and make it harder for her to walk and gonabiut asking for food. That day was one of the days that every step she took would leave blood stains on the ground, she forced herself as she winced in pain from every step until she got to him. She tried speaking but no voice came out, her mind seemed to be lost as if it was locked somewhere and nothing was to bring it back.

She opened her mouth again and wierd sounds came out of her mouth, she held out her arms and sat him down before she could drag him by the feet to the corner he slept in. The pain was so unbearable for Wei Ying that his screams from being dragged pierced into the old lady's heart awakening something inside her. She sat down feeling helpless and cried while stroking Wei Ying's back up and down to calm him down. Even though Wei Ying was in pain and crying so hard, he still heard the old woman crying and that made him calm himself down since he didn't want the old woman to be worried. He sniffed and hiccuped while dragging himself further to the lean his back by the wall, the old lady followed him by crawling the rest of the way to him an sat by his side to see if he was ok. Wei Ying was so touched by the old woman's good heart and even though he knew that she had lost her mind, he still saw her as a grandmother figure to him who he wanted to take care of.

He wiped his tears away and smiled at the old woman so that she would stop crying, and he was successful. Wei Ying's smile was just like his mother's, it had that effect of making one forget everything bad in their lives, it was so contagious that those whom he smiled for would also return their smile...and that's what the old woman did. He was satisfied with that as he kept talking to him" grandma...I'm okay, don't cry or I would also cry.". The old woman stopped crying and smiled, Wei Ying had never once heard her speak before so he asked as the old woman now rubbed her cheek with her thumb " grandma, why are you here? Where is your family?" He waited after asking but no reply came out, the old woman looked to the ground and tried to speak but as before...but the sound that came out was like her tongue was being held to block the back of her throat. She looked at Wei Ying again an he gasped, he now understood why she never spoke and that broke his heart even more.

He found a way to speak to the old lady and he said " grandma...I'm going to ask you some questions and if I'm right just nod or shake your head for no, or you can just not do both if you don't want to answer. Is that okay with you?" He took a peek at her as she looked down embarrassed of her inability to speak as a normal mortal. " Grandma, do you have children?" The old lady gave a nod as lone tear left her eyes. " Do they live nearby ?" She shook her head. " Do you still remember where your house is?" The old woman's face lit up instantly as she smiled from ear to ear as if she was reminiscing her past which was too pleasant for her to forget. " Do you wish to go back?" Same as before, her smile was bright and her nods were constant and Wei Ying knew she must be missing home and he had to help her,but there was something he so eagerly wanted to know about her, he knew he couldn't ask her directly as it might sound rude, he knew he had to find a way to know more about why she was there so...

"Grandma,could you please tell me where your home is so I can accompany you there?" He was nervous to ask and the old lady's sudden stiffness made him understand things. She froze with her head facing the ground while she fiddles her fingers as if embarrassed about something, but it was more than that and Wei Ying couldn't figure out what her actions were and he watched her struggle to speak, she opened her mouth and immediately close it . It was as if she already knew what the outcome would if she tried to speak. She looked and Wei Ying with a sad expression and slowly pointed to her mouth while shaking her head, tears left her eyes and tunneled themselves in the wrinkles that lined her pale but dirty face. She was struggling so hard to explain to Wei Ying what she wanted to say. She stopped trying and Wei Ying stopped asking and only gave her an assurance. " Grandma...I will help you go home tomorrow, don't worry"

Wei Ying's suspicions proved right, the old woman was mute, but not only that...it seemed as if her tongue was cut out of her mouth and that was the reason for her making strange noises when trying to speak. Her mind also seemed to be far from her, like her mind was twisted and scrambled in a way that she didn't remember anything but her home and that she had children. Wei Ying concluded that whoever did that to her must have done it so that the old woman doesn't speak of whatever she has seen, like someone trying to silence her from telling their secrets. He wished so much he had his powers at that time to understand her more, but Wei Ying loved challenges, he loved taking in tasks which were harder than the strongest and powerful cultivators. So he declared it to himself that the next day, he was going to send the old woman off to her home no matter what. It then didn't matter if he was injured or sick, he was definitely going to take her wherever she was meant to be.