CHAPTER 42

Wei Changze ran to where he heard the voices earlier and when he reached the spot his heart choked him and his breath stopped right after he screamed Changse Sanren's name from the top of his lungs.

What he saw brought his whole existence to a halt, Changse was lying on the ground and she was not moving. Her hanfu was covered in blood and there was no one there other than a torn pouch and the fabric of cloth which was also covered in blood. Wei Changze kneeled there crying his heart out, he was just not far but he felt like his legs would take him forever to reach her as he crawled to her. He took her hand which blood was dripping from it and placed it on his cheek and supported her head by placing his arm on the back of her neck. He gently shook her while constantly calling out her name,his voice was broken by his cries but he kept on calling her. Right then he heard several footsteps and he was more alert thinking the people who had hurt his beloved had come back to do what he heard them say they were instructed to do.

He tried to stand up and placed his other arm behind her knees and the other was still on the back of her head and started slowly walking towards the boat. He placed her gently on the floor and went to hide near where he found Changse, desciples who were wearing Jiang clan's uniform passed by and they stopped as they looked at the amount of blood on the ground. Wei Changze could hear them very well and he heard one of them talk about being late, they were actually very sad as they thought they were late to save someone. He was about to sneak back to the boat when he heard the other say " Clan leader Jiang will not be able to take it and who knows what he will do to the ones responsible for killing his martial brother's lover. I pity them, they looked like they liked each other and I don't understand why someone would want to kill even a baby who doesn't know anything. Hhhh...let's go back and report to clan leader what we found and take those things in the ground."

Wei Changze jumped out of his hiding and called one of them which he recognised right away, but because he didn't know who might have sent them he had to hide. He thought they might be Madam Yu's men who she sent to kill Changse, he was now relieved that they were sent by his friend. He called out his name and they all turned around their swords unsheathed, when they saw it was him they sheathed them and approached him. They were shocked to see so much blood on his robes and they asked what had happened when he narrated the entire story. They told him that Clan Leader Jiang instructed them to take him and Changse to hiding when they find them. He had given them a location where they should go and had already arranged everything even a healer just incase.

He led them to where he was hiding Changse and they brought a carriage and he laid her gently on the soft quilt which he placed on the floor and sat down holding her hand. He had seen that she was still alive, but he had not seen her injuries since it was very dark and he didn't have time to check. The travelled for a night and arrived they following day before sunset, they arrived at this small house where an old women came out to welcome them. She was with a teenage boy who looked like he was her grandson, they carried Changse inside the house, and she took a clean cloth and a bucket of warm water as they laid her on the bed. The old lady instructed them to go out because she wanted to treat her injuries, and the desciples left as they didn't want their cover blown. Other would surely ask questions if they didn't see them right after a maiden dissapeared. They bid their farewell and left.

Wei Changze was busy pacing back and forth dreading the news he was about to hear about Changse and his unborn baby. The teenage boy saw that he was really worried and he wanted him to calm down his nerves, so he made him some tea while he waited. The old lady came out of the room and went to tell Wei Changze the news, she first took a deep breath and sat down. She hasitated and he saw that, she poured herself tea and sipped on it twice and said " I'm Wen Qiaolin and this is my grandson Wen Rouhan. And you are...?". " Oh!.. bu jao yi si, I am Wei Changze I come from.--" " maybe it's better you don't tell which clan you're from, I realise that your wife is seriously injured and if the people who did this to her find her...I'm afraid ...I think it's better if no one finds out about your clan. "

Wei Changze was surprised about what the old lady said, it was like she knew everything already. He thought that maybe Jiang Fengmian had already told her everything and to him it was better if no one found out where they were. " madam Wen, how is my wife? Is the baby alright?" He called Changse his wife to remove any suspicion, he didn't want to disgrace their situation any further.
" I'm afraid you baby is alright, there were no injuries to her stomach, it seems like she was protecting her baby while she was being attacked ..but... Sorry your wife sustained severe injuries to her neck, back, and on her head. But because of the injury on her head she passed out and she won't be able to wake up soon. If she doesn't wake up sooner then I'm afraid the baby's life could be in danger" " So...madam Wen...how far along is she" " she's just 3 months pregnant, but if she doesn't wake up within the next week or so...I'm afraid..."