CHAPTER 15

Changze started cooking after lighting the coal stove, in a few minutes 4 dishes were already made and she was down to her last which was a bit difficult as it needed low heat to cook. She place a pot in the stove and poured a little oil and the added some vegetables to cook, she was fetching some herbs in the nearby counter when she smelled something burning. She immediately turned around and hurried to the pot on the stove and quickly opened it, she panicked as she saw the vegetables were almost burned and he called on Lan Qiren who was all this while looking at her every movements and expressions for help. He hurried by her side and she asked him to remove some coals in the stove so that her cooking doesn't burn, with a stretch if his hand he took a coal handler and coal pan and one by one took out the hot coal out of the stove, Changze was still holding the hot pot with a dish cloth and kept on looking at Lan Qiren that she forgot what she was holding.

The pot she was holding became a little tilted and the oil in the pan poured out into the coal pan Lan Qiren was holding and flames resulting in Lan Qiren's beard catching fire, he jumped in fright and he held his beard after loosening his hand which was holding the coal pan. The coals landed on his robes then he stamped on them as he was trying to get away only for his shoes soles to burn by the hot coal, Changze was trying to help him out out the fire on his robes when she accidentally let go of the pot she was holding resulting in the flames to pour on the coals on the floor and...fire started. It was complete chaos and now the fire was spreading to the kitchen cabinets when Lan Qiren became so angry that he shouted at her to stop helping him, her attention was on the robes and the fire spreading towards the cabinets and didn't pay too much attention to Lan Qiren's face.

After Lan Qiren was done shouting at her he stared at her with an intense glare and she got sturtled by the tone Lan Qiren used her, she stopped her movements and slowly turned her head to look at Lan Qiren only for her face to turn from frightened to a loud laughter that she fell on the ground holding her stomach forgetting about the fire that was busy spreading to every corner of the kitchen. Lan Qiren was taken a back for a moment and he noticed how she kept laughing and pointing at him, that's when he went over the other side of the kitchen, opened the cabinet drawer taking out the steel spatula and looking at his reflection. He fumed in anger that he couldn't hold himself anymore and grabbed Changze's arm making her stand up and throw her out of the kitchen only to land on the floor by the door with a loud ' thud ' . She immediately stoped laughing realising the situation she was in, and kept looking at the flaming kitchen with Lan Qiren inside, she quickly stood up about to go in again when Lan Qiren and out holding a tray of the dishes she already prepared and gave it to her. She was stunned for a moment or two.

She slowly took the tray, looking at its contents and she felt a tug in her heart. Lan had risked his life going into the burning kitchen to retrieve her master's food, she was indeed touched. She turned her eyes to look at the man who shook her heart with his gesture and when her eyes landed on Lan Qiren's face she couldn't help herself but laugh again. She kept saying " sorry master Lan i..I didn- hahaha! I'm sorry...i..I'm sorry" she just couldn't help herself but laugh and by now Lan Qiren was fuming with anger, he just couldn't believe she could laugh at his misfortune. So he shouted again, and this time, the night birds go scared and ran out of their nests and into the unknown darkness if the night, she flinched and hanged her head at the tone Lan Qiren was fuming in, his eye rims were red with veins protruding on his forehead, he looked more scarier than an evil energy itself and now she knew she had to stop.

She slowly turned around and left, and after several footsteps she turned around and she saw a silhouette battling with the fire in the kitchen, a lone tear fell to the ground resting a mini tear crater on the dusty pathway. She hurried her footsteps not wanting to look back anymore, she was worried about Lan Qiren but hen again there was nothing she could do as she was pushed out clearly stating that her help isn't needed. She heard loud voices heading to the kitchen to help and she heard someone asking what had happened, Lan Qiren's answer brought a flood of tears in her eyes and her chest felt very heavy like a big rock was placed there as he struggled to advance her movement. Lan Qiren had answered " I was trying to prepare a dish but I didn't realise that the oil was pouring on the coals" Changze started running while crying until she reached their guest room and she barged in and out the tray on the table and cried while hugging her knees to her chest.

Baoshan Sanren came out of the washroom only to be greeted by heart breaking sobs that filled the room in the quiet night, she slowly went to her side assuming that something bad must have happened fully knowing how her playful her desciple was. She was not the one to cry cause her smile was always so infectious that even her aura brought in positivity to someone who was feeling down. And now that she was crying, Baoshan Sanren knew it must have something to do with Lan Qiren, so she made her stand up and sat her on the chair and gave her some water and ran her hand on her head while assuring her " it's alright child, please stop crying and have something to eat. Come on, eat something hmm..don't cry"