4

^^Ken

Ken's POV

Ajax had an emergency meeting after the whole debacle with Baalam and Hailey. Ajax was extremely gentle with Hailey and had her checked into counseling. Yugi is attending to her every need and providing her with much needed attention. Now, Ajax had concerns over what Baalam's previous plan had been. Ajax was worried that the cabal Baalam had galvanized would break away to fulfill their own agendas.

"What do you propose?" Roman questioned.

"Seal the borders, station troops around the barriers, and send a warning to any demons planning on raging havoc." Ellio spoke.

"You really sound paranoid." Alexxis snorted.

"It's the most reasonable thing." Ellio defended himself.

"If you consider the opposition a threat." Ajax placed two fingers on the table. "A credible threat."

"What's your take?" Nyx faced him.

"Never underestimate the little guy." Ajax straighten up. "Monitor their movements. Disperse any demons soliciting near our borders. A formal message doesn't need to be sent since Hailey... the point is that let's proceed with caution, but do not raise any alarm."

"What are we doing about Hailey?" I questioned, earning all eyes on me. "We basically institutionalized her."

"Not if it's humane." Ellio muttered.

"She's non-responsive. There weren't many options and she needed to be monitored for health reasons." Roman stated. "Yugi is essentially her private nurse."

"I just feel for her." I looked down at my feet.

"We all do." Nyx smiled and placed an arm around me. "So what's the move, Jax?"

"Rest tonight. We'll be on patrol tomorrow." Ajax stated. "Understood?"

"Yes." Everyone said.

"Dismissed." He stated and left.

Nyx took my hand and led me out the room. It was already late, so we went back to our room. Nyx fell onto the bed and did an exaggerated stretch. I closed the door and leaned my back against it. Nyx's eyes were closed as her hand reached around the bed. She then lifted her head and peeked.

"Why are you all the way over there?" She whispered in a baby voice.

"No reason." I pushed myself off the door. "Sleepy?"

"I can stay awake for you." She smiled and opened her arms for me.

Nyx snuggled her face into my neck. I relaxed as her arms tightened around me. I closed my eyes, but couldn't fall asleep. My mind was still wide awake and I'm guessing Nyx felt my aura.

"Can't sleep?"

"Not really." I whispered.

"Guess we could talk until you get sleepy?" She mumbled into my neck. I began laughing since it tickled. "What?" She mumbled agin, causing me to laugh in hysterics. "Something wrong?" I could feel her teasing smile since she knew exactly what she was doing.

I had her outstretch her arm and then cuddled it. Nyx chuckled and ran her fingers along my side.

"What's keeping you up at night?" She kissed the back of my neck.

"I don't know. There's a lot." I stared into the darkness. "Besides the threats facing our national security and our friend... I don't know. I'm being weird."

"How so?"

"I keep thinking about our future, you know?"

"Ooooh really. And what about it?" I could hear the grin.