75

Addy's POV

Kiki and I held our candles as we stood over the burial sight for all familiars. Gello knelt down and touched Rowan's resting spot. She slowly stood and walked off. Kiki touched the flame to the burial ground, igniting it. I followed suit and stood back with her. I held her arm as we watched the site burn to a crisp.

"I miss him." I whispered. Kiki spared me a glance and pondered something.

"I was going to wait another day, but we can do this now." She smiled and held out her hand.

"Where are we going?"

Kiki merely smiled and led me to a barren forest. We walked through the forest until stumbling across a nest. Kiki smiled up at me and held me close.

"That's Rowan's family." She whispered.

"What?!"

"Ya. He has two girls and three boys. He has a newborn." She flicked her head at the egg. "It's supposed to hatch today." She hugged me from behind.

I nuzzled myself against her and stared at the nest. I sharply inhaled air when the egg shook. Kiki kissed the side of my head as we watched the egg hatch. The baby was struggling to get out, so I went to help it, but Kiki held me back.

"You can't interfere. It's a lesson taught from birth. They need to be strong and break free. If you help then, it makes life easier. As difficult as it is, you must watch from afar."

It took everything in me not to assist, but I listened to my wife. I cheered and clapped when he finally hatched. The baby waddled around and almost toppled out the nest.

"That one took the longest to hatch. This indicates that he's a weakling." Kiki muttered.

Kiki then used magic to lower the nest to eye level. The ravens chirped at us and squeaked at Kiki. She smiled and held her finger out, allowing them all to peck her. She gave me a bright smile and introduced them all to me. I apologized profusely to Rowan's wife, who struggled with his passing.

"So it's customary to choose a new familiar from your previous familiar's family. He's the strongest." She pointed at one. "She's the second, then her, then the two boys. Which one do you want?"

"I get to pick?"

"Ya. I trust your judgement." Kiki grinned.

"What happens when one is selected?"

"He'll be bound to me. And you as well since we're connected."

"Oh." I muttered. "That's a lot of pressure."

"It's really not. Just go with who your gut tells you." She shrugged.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

"Then, him." I pointed at the new hatchling that fell.

"Are you sure?" She titled her head.

"You said I could choose whoever."

"I did." She smiled. "I figured you'd choose him." She held her hand out as the hatchling stumbled into her palm. "What do you wish to name him?"

"I-I don't know. I can't come up with something as cool as Rowan."

"You know his real name wasn't Rowan, right?" I gave her a dumbfounded look. "His name is a lot more difficult, so I make it simpler and translate it into something easier for others to pronounce."

"What was his real name?"

"Cthyalyusntaopeqwcr."

"That's random letters." I glared.

"But, it's the truth." Kiki chuckled. "So what do you wish to name our newest familiar?"

"Help me!" I begged.

"Alrighty... what letter?"

"Hmm... O."

"O? That's an interesting one." Kiki scratched her head. "Orlon? Orson? Orion? Osvaldo-"

"I want it close to Rowan."

"Owan." I glared at her smirk.

"I'm trying to- I know!" I jumped up and cradled the young bird. "Waylon."

"That's not even remotely close to Rowan."

"Baby Waylon."

"Well, I'm down." She kissed my head. "You're now ours, Waylon." Kiki's snake eyes flashed.