21

^^Alec

Zena's POV

My mind has been all over the place recently. I kept having compelling thoughts that nearly made me mutilate myself. Hailey and Acacia have stopped me everytime. Acacia was severely concerned and wanted to bring it up with my parents, but I convinced her to drop it. We had more concerning things... like Geneve and Tamamo.

With my mind all over the place, Hailey and Maman thought it'd be best to throw Yeira and I a birthday party. I thought it was overkill since we had turned 18 a while ago. But, they wanted to get our minds off the people trying to kill us. I thought it'd be best to focus on the threat, not avoid it.

Maman wanted to know the theme, so she could properly plan. I briefly remembered my birthday parties when I was younger and she always went full out. I could only imagine how extra she was gonna be. Maman and Hailey did all the planning while mum sat that one out. Mum, subtly, was strategizing with Franni on how to approach the situation.

Now, it took Yeira and I over a week to finally agree on a party theme. She wanted some kind of rock infused grunge party while I was into artsy stuff. Mum suggested a costume party to shut us up. What she didn't expect was for us to love that idea. So... Maman went to work planning an extravagant party. And... extravagant it is.

.

.

.

I forced my body to be okay with this setting. I was still uneasy and found it difficult to dispel my worries, even with my parents here. The flashing lights blinded me, allowing Acacia to pull me into a surprise kiss. I smiled against her lips and pulled back to see a massive smile on her lips.

Cara shook her shoulder and the two started jumping and dancing to the track. As much joy as it brought me watching my fiancé, I needed a moment to myself. Acacia was tipsy and nodded to me telling her I'd just be a moment. I then quickly walked to the corner and plucked up a a spirit.

I leaned against the wall while sipping the drink. My eyes found Yeira, clearly enjoying the party. She was on the platform and encouraging her rowdy friends to climb up as well. I raised a brow at Nat dancing near her. Hana laughed as Lexi spun her around, resulting in her stumbling into a hysterical Yeira. The two shared a sweet kiss before rocking together.

How my sister is able to let loose when the threat of the world is against us is beyond me. I took a deep breath and scanned the rest of the party goers. I know my parents are here and there's an increase in security, but what if Geneve decides to make a move or any of the other ladies?! I think I'm most fearful this time because I'm not entirely sure what I'm up against.

"Alec." My head whipped around since I recognized the voice to be my maman. I spotted her adorning a glass with red wine. "This is a costume party. What are you? A twat?" She snickered at his glare.

"You think so low of me that I'd miss my nieces 18th." He stopped close to her.

"No hello sister?" Maman smirk deepened. "You seem to be very tense for someone coming to a party."

"You caught me. There's an ulterior motive to my arrival." He cleared his throat. "There's an increase in rebels against my rule."

"I don't-"

"In the vampire realm." He took a long sip of wine. "Geneve's supporters have grown in number. They want me ousted. They prefer you to-"

"I'm not leaving my family, Alec." Maman's tone darkened. "We've been over this. You stay in the vamp realm because you have Sophie with you. And I stay in the human realm where I have access to my family."