55

^^Inari

Third Person POV

Footsteps were rapidly moving down the halls. Ichigo moved ahead of Inari to open the door. He spoke through his ear piece before allowing her inside. The other security stood straighter when the empress entered. Haru and his father stood at attention.

"Thank you for meeting with me under such short notice." She sat down, prompting them to follow her lead.

"Of course, your highness." Botan, Haru's father, spoke. "We're aware of the oncoming danger."

"Yes, Tamamo's recent attack has rattled a few."

"We heard it happened at the Imperial Palace." Inari looked Haru's way. "Is Hana alright?"

"Haru!" Botan snapped for his son speaking out of turn.

"No, it is quite alright, Botan. I appreciate his deep concern for Hana." She gently smiled at the older man. "As for the answer to your question, no, she was not harmed." Haru released a sigh of relief. "But, it appeared she was the target for the attack. She's been removed from the realm."

"So Tamamo is after her?" Haru tensed.

"It seems that way." Inari sighed.

"What is Tamamo's ultimate goal?" Botan questioned.

"She has a lust for power and treachery. My simple discretion was to inherit a throne. Thus, her vendetta is to steal my throne and thrust the realm into chaos."

"That's because she thrives off chaos." Botan spoke. "She absorbs and feasts off it. Without chaos, she's dead."

"So she should be weak here." Haru spoke. "This realm has been neutral and symbiotic in nature. Yes, we may have tense relations with other species, but nothing on the verge of war."

"What makes you think she's only consuming chaos from this realm?" Inari posed. "Ichigo, if you will."

"We had reason to believe she is partnering with a vampire named Geneve. Geneve has a considerable amount of influence with the rebel vampires and the ones who criticize Alexandre's reign. Geneve could easily grant Tamamo access to rebellious vampires, allowing the nogitsune to feed."

"Nogitsunes get stronger when feeding from other supernatural beings." Botan breathed out. "How long do you believe she's been absorbing power?"

"Long enough for her to nearly devastate the palace." Inari spoke.

"What do you need from us, your majesty?" Haru inquired.

"Your ninjas to travel to the great expanse. Gather information. If she's residing there. Weaknesses of any kind."

"What's the time frame?" Botan asked.

"She could wreck havoc any day."

"Effective immediately." Haru nodded. "We'll see it be done."

X

It's been a few days since the meeting with Haru's family. Inari had been meeting with other clan leaders to discuss a potential strategy for Tamamo. She hadn't spoke with Shinra, the dragon clan leader, because he was off somewhere. His informants wouldn't divulge his location, but hinted at him being in the human realm. Now, Inari had no idea what would interest Shinra to travel there since he preferred the East Asian realm.

Inari felt the weight of the world on her shoulders. She needed a serene environment to momentarily clear her mind. Inari took her sandals off, prompting a security guard to hold them. She then allowed her bare feet to walk along the stone steps. The security hung back a little to allow Inari a semblance of space.