9

^^Nyx

Ken's POV

Nyx lingered her lips against my forehead. She pulled back and gave me a smile before approaching her brother. I watched the two wait for the rest of the angel guards. Cal and Zeli were absent since they were attending Zeli's physical therapy session with Yugi. That forced the creepy twins (Amara was pissed since she couldn't sneak off to see Logan) to join the perimeter sweep. Onyx stayed behind to provide cover for my mother in case anything happened.

I waved bye as they launched into the sky. I pouted and crossed my arms because how was I supposed to entertain myself now?! My mood then dropped as I remembered Yuna. Whenever I was bored or needed someone to talk to, she was my person. I wiped a lone tear and sniffled to reduce the pain. Okay! Stop thinking about my dead best friend, Ken!

As I was walking through the gardens, I spotted Roman. A few scrolls were under his arm as he briskly walked. Roman slowed when he spotted me and arched a brow. I gave him a small smile, resulting in him clearing his throat.

"Good afternoon, Kennedy. Your aura seems despondent. Does this have to do with Nyx leaving?"

"Partly." I breathed out. "It's more that I remembered Yuna." His eyes softened at my words. "I miss her. And then Hailey is..."

"She's going through it." He awkwardly averted his eyes. "She's deeply pained over Baalam's death. I've never seen her so mentally destroyed."

"Those two were my rocks. If not Yuna, then Hailey. And now... the people I held close are gone."

"I wouldn't say that." Roman gave me a small smile. "More people love you than you realize."

"Please, your friends make it their mission to belittle me everyday." I bitterly chuckled.

"You speak of the twins, Ash, and Zeli." I nodded at him. "All of them bully people they secretly like. They enjoyed the getaway with you to the human realm that time. Ash and Zeli love training powers, so they valued their time with you." I was shocked to hear that. "And yes, they told Ajax that they'd like to be on future engagements with you. Ignore their attitude." He chuckled.

"That's... I don't know what to do with that information. I thought they hated me."

"Quite the opposite." His lips quirked upwards. "I have to see your mother for a meeting, but I will be sure to check on you throughout the rest of the week. Don't worry. Nyx will be back before you know it." He bowed before leaving me.

Roman was always a wild card when it came to emotions. He often appears emotionally detached, but he's a good person. He maybe uncomfortable with physical or emotional affection, but he always tried to make my life easier or find me the right person to cater to my needs.

I looked at the sun's position in the sky and realized that Hailey's session should be on break about now. I gulped before heading in the general direction. The distance to the hospital was short, so I quickly walked through the halls and spotted the long term unit. With a deep breath, I pushed open the doors and found Hailey's room. A sigh escaped my lips at observing her still frame.

Hailey simply stared outside and made no indication of feeling me. She was perfectly still and felt empty. I felt her aura and never felt grief like this before.

"Hailey?"

She slowly turned her head to face me. A whimper passed my lips at seeing her red eyes. Tear stains were on her cheeks as her lips quivered. I felt her aura and realized she was in a constant state of crying, but ran out of tears. Whenever her tear wells fill up again, she'll release a fresh set of tears.