65

^^Hana

Hana's POV

My eyes were blood red since I cried all night. Yeira gave me a back hug as I cried into my hands. A knock was on the door before Eris entered with Lexi. Lexi gave Eris an awkward look as Eris placed a tea kettle on the dresser. Lexi and Eris then quickly scrambled out.

"I think you guys didn't get proper closure yesterday. You should speak with Inari." I gave Yeira a look. "Honest."

"Fine." I groaned and got off the bed. "But, I'm not happy."

"I'll be here when you get back." She smiled, so I kissed her. "Thanks."

I then left her and asked around for Inari. Ichigo overheard the question and directed me to the gardens. I passed the koi pond and ignored Hiro and Lexi sucking faces. I spotted Inari on a bench that faced a fountain.

"Why didn't you tell me about her?" I couldn't hold my emotions back. I felt my eyes water a I stared at her.

"It hurt too much." Inari's voice cracked as she led me to her bedroom. "I wanted to tell you so many times. I wanted to tell you that I knew your mother and what she meant to me. And that every time I looked at you... I saw what could've been."

"What could've been?"

"Ya, you could've been our daughter." I whimpered at her words. "Misuke and I... Hana, you need to understand that it took me ages to come to terms with her death. And after finally having peace with it, she comes back. And she comes back after I, married. I'm hurting her, my husband, and myself."

"Inari-"

"There was so much pain associated with her name. She was banished because my father caught wind of her sapphic desires. He just didn't know it involved me. And then I couldn't save her. And she died. I felt so much guilt, Hana. And seeing you as the embodiment of her beauty... I was being haunted on a daily basis."

"I don't hate you." I sighed. "It could also be because I never knew her, so there wasn't any pain associated with her death."

"You were never meant to be given up for adoption. That was never the intention. It was just a series of unfortunate events and I couldn't directly take you in-"

"So you watched from a far." I cut her off. "Inari, she's the love of your life. You can't just pass that up. Don't let her slip through your fingers again."

"It's not just-" Inari stopped herself.

"What?"

"She's... I haven't seen her in so long and..."

"She makes you nervous." My lip quirked up as Inari blushed. "Oh my gosh. This is hysterical."

"It's not!"

"Ya, it is. You were never into any of the suitors and now you're nervous to speak to my mom?"

"That's because she'd always flirt with me!" I laughed at her outburst. "And she's upped it since finding out I'm married!"

"Now, you know how it feels." I gave her a look while she groaned. "You were all for Yeira's games with me."

"You were engaged! Not married!"

"Please, I'm sure your husband has his array of affairs. No offense."

"None taken and it doesn't bother me because I don't love him. But, I can't just divorce him like that."

"So why not have your little side flame while he has his?"

"Really, Hana?" Inari narrowed her eyes at me.