44

^^Addy

Addy's POV

I smiled as I dished out the vegetables into the young boy's plate. He gave me a toothy grin and said something in Croatian before running off. He probably thanked me, so I smiled and went to serve the next kid. After everyone was served, the volunteers wandered off.

I walked towards the playground when someone called me. I turned to see Hana approaching me.

"What are you doing here?" She wondered.

"Oh, I'm volunteering here. I did this back home, so I wanted to continue it."

"You volunteered at an orphanage in Pennsylvania?"

"Ya, I was... kinda an orphan. I got adopted, so I got out of it." I awkwardly hugged myself.

"That's really funny because I'm technically an orphan as well."

"Really?" I was fascinated.

"Ya. I don't really know much about it, but I showed up at my adoptive parents' doorstep one day and they took me in. I say I'm technically because I don't know for certain if both my parents died or they just didn't want me."

"I'm sure they cared for you and that's why they gave you to that couple. Did that couple struggle to conceive?"

"No." Hana shook her head. "They had two kids already."

"So your parents knew they would love you and raise you well then." I softly smiled. "Actually, that's not always true."

"What do you mean? Oh, they handed these out." Hana handed me a popsicle.

"The family that adopted me wasn't the most loving." I licked the popsicle. "They were quite abusive."

"Seriously? How'd they never get caught?"

"I was hidden away, forced to coverup the bruises, and I was scared to say anything. Even though I had fond memories in the orphanage, they brainwashed me into believing that if I went back then I'd be abused even worse than I currently was." I sadly chuckled. "I was stupid and should've gone to the police or the caretaker who I really trusted."

"You're not stupid. They were terrible for making you believe those lies." Hana stated.

"Ya, I always felt indebted to the orphanage and loved the kids there. That's actually where I met Blake." I grinned. "He was much different then..." I trailed off and sighed. "He was loving before I ruined him." I sniffled. "You know I promised to get him out the orphanage. And I did!" I smiled, but slowly frowned. "But, I guess it would be been better for him if I had left him there."

"Addy, you can't keep living in the past and blaming yourself. You've got to start moving forward. Ya, it's hard, but... we're all doing it one step at a time."

"How bad are you affected after everything? I know you're still scared of me. Or a little part of you is still weary. I'm really sorry."

"It'll take some time." Hana admitted. "I didn't know you like the others did. I knew about you during the competition, but that was the extent of it. We never had any interactions. The only interaction I had with you was when I was abducted."

"Hana, I'm sor-"

"I've talked with Cia. We're surprisingly close after everything. I guess it's because we're both victims and can bond over our shared experiences." Hana shrugged. 'But, she told me that you're a good person who made a terrible mistake. She's forgiven you and moving forward, so she encouraged me to try and do the same."

"You shouldn't be forced."

"I'm not." Hana shook her head. "And to be honest... Cia also like smacked some truth at me."