70

^^Lara

Zena's POV

Yeira was lounging on the stiff bed and seemed to want to be anywhere but here. She wasn't the only one who felt that way. The difference was that I was scared shitless while she considered this inconvenient. Yeira must've sensed my fear since she perked her head up. She was about to say something, but a butler knocked on the door.

"Guess we can't prolong this any longer." Yeira rolled off and motioned me over. "You look pretty." She complimented my dress.

"Thanks." My voice shook.

"Hey, don't be nervous. I'm right here." She playfully nudged me.

Yeira pounded on the door, signaling the butler to open it. Yeira gave me a firm nod before we both exited. We walked in line with each other and I'm sure the other vampire staffers could sense my unease. When we got to the spiral staircase, suitors awaited us. I shot Yeira a look, so she dismissed them and escorted me down the stairs.

Are you sure we should've done that?

Want random men holding you?

No, but the guests are staring at us.

Ya, because we're the heirs and this is our formal meeting with them.

I don't want to do this. I nearly slipped, but Yeira had a firm grip on me. Thanks.

Just calm that racing heart of yours. We neared the bottom. If you get nervous during the meal, you can always telepathically speak to me.

We got to the bottom and received an ovation. The squire then called for everyone to take their seats for dinner. Yeira and I walked to where Maman, Sophie, and Alec were seated. Two men pulled out our chairs and waited for us to sit before pushing us in. Goblets of blood and wine were poured.

Please don't tell me this is the entire meal. I eyed the blood in want.

You're in a house filled with vampires. What'd you expect? Mac and cheese?

I'd have preferred that. I grumbled.

I was surprised to see other hors d'oeuvres served. I pointed at a few, to which the server presented me. Yeria scratched the collar of her shirt. She wasn't used to wearing such formal attire and hated it. Conversations murmured around the room, except for our table. This was so awkwardly boring. Maman brought the goblet to her lips and sighed out of boredom. No wonder she always hated royal responsibilities. It's so boring!

I'm so bored.

How do you think I feel? You're more tolerant and patient at these sort of things. I just want to do literally anything else.

Know how long we have to be here?

Too long in my opinion.

Even Maman is bored.

I'm sure it's more like she's pining after mum. Yeira snorted.

That makes me want Acacia!

And I want Hana to entertain me. Seems like we're all bored.

Even Alec is bored. Sophie isn't even saying a peep. Are we not supposed to speak?

You can try and see how they react. Yeira shrugged.

What's the protocol?

I attended military gatherings which were a little different. I didn't really mingle with royalty. I mean I attended some events, but more military type things.