Chapter 22: An Absence of Nightmares (Part 1)

(Sun's POV)

I plopped myself down on a beanbag chair in the naptime area and sighed in relief. The daycare was quiet now that all the children were fast asleep.

Moon was sitting in the middle of the room, surrounded by children and reading a book. He put on a voice for each character, like he always did. Although the kids were out like a light, he insisted on finishing the book completely rather than just stopping.

"Helps them sleep better and keeps away nightmares," He said. 

Maybe I should have him read to me before bed then...Not that I really need it; my nightmares haven't been as frequent, oddly enough. I'm not complaining, though.

Honestly, I haven't slept this well in a while. It was refreshing. But I couldn't help but be suspicious of what Eclipse was planning.

"You alright?" I looked up to find Moon staring down at me with a small smile. Moon's been more relaxed, too, despite the sudden arrival of Lunar and all the change that's been brought with him. Maybe it was because we now had an extra pair of hands to help out around the daycare.

He sat next to me on the beanbag chair, sprawling his limbs out and leaving me with barely any room. "Hey!!" I whisper-yelled with a grin, "Scooch over, Moon!" He just gave an exaggerated yawn and closed his eyes, "Oh noooo...It looks like I'm falling asleep...Guess I'll be stuck here until I wake up again."

He opened one eye to peek at me, a smug grin sitting on his face. I pulled Moon's hat over his eyes while rolling mine, "Pshh! Yeah right."

"Just testing to make sure you're still the Sunny I know and love," He chuckled as he lifted the brim of his hat, "And that same Sunny seems like he's got something on his mind. So, come on, spill the beans. What's up?"

"It's nothing, just that my nightmares kinda disappeared," I said. His smile faltered and he replaced it with a confused look, sitting up, "Isn't that a good thing? I though you hated them?"

"I do. I just-...I can't help but think Eclipse is up to something, y'know? Things are never this peaceful; it's too good to be true," I sighed, shaking my head. 

Moon's eyebrows furrowed and he rolled his eyes, "Again with this 'Eclipse' guy? I've told you, he's not real! Just accept that it's over and everything's gonna be blue skies from now on." He flopped back down onto the beanbag chair, resting his arms over his head and relaxed.

I glared daggers at him, and if looks could kill, Moon would've been a puddle on the floor. "Well, if you'd only listen to me, you'd know that he's a very real person. And a dangerous one at that!" I say exaggeratedly.

He raised his eyebrows and sat upright, much to my approval. He was going to finally listen to what I had to say!

"A 'dangerous' person, you say? Oh my, I wonder how this imaginary Eclipse will hurt anybody when he's trapped inside your nightmares?" He spoke in a fake worried tone and acted as if he were genuinely concerned. "Maybe he's hiding somewhere?" He lifted the edge of the beanbag chair, "Nope, no 'Evil Eclipse' under here."

Or so I thought.

He leaned back against the chair and crossed his arms, now back to his regular expression, "See? Nothing to worry about."

I fumed. Instead of sitting here and arguing pointlessly with Moon, I stood and turned on my heel, heading towards the stairs. I felt Moon's hand grip around my arm, preventing me from leaving.

Anger flashing in my eyes, I looked back at his hand then met his gaze. His eyes were remorseful, and he at least looked somewhat concerned.

"Okay, I get it! I shouldn't have said that, but you really do need to relax!" His grip tightened so I wouldn't try to run from the conversation. "Please, just come sit down. I promise not to make fun of you again, Sunshi-"

"Don't call me that." I roughly jerked my arm away.

He seemed taken aback by my sudden aggression, "W-What..?"

"Use my real name, and stop calling me 'Sunshine'," I repeated more clearly.

"Sunshine, please-" He tried to reach for me again, but was stopped abruptly when I slapped him across the face. He staggered backward slightly, holding his face where I'd hit him. My eyes widened at the realization of my actions.

This time it was me who attempted reaching out for the other. He smacked my hand away with his free hand, looking up at me with a sorrowful, hurt look. "Moony- Starlight, I-"

"I'm sorry." That was all he said before he made his way toward the stairs. After giving one last, melancholy glance, he went up the stairs, leaving me alone in the daycare to look after the kids.

※※※

I must really like hurting the characters if I keep getting the urge to write angst-

Nah, that's just me enjoying a little bit of heart wrenching content ;-;

-See you soon,

Still Jackie :')