Chapter 39: Disbelief

Tw: Eclipse, swearing, Moon angst, knives, implied sh, just overall a pretty angsty chapter

(Moon's POV)

"What do you means that isn't Sun?" I gave Lunar a perplexed and incredulous look, "If it's not Sun, who is it-?"
Lunar seemed to be struggling to speak clearly, his breathing coming out in uneven shaky huffs. I quickly made him look at me, worried, "Lunar, breathe. It's going to be okay; just tell me what you mean."

He nodded and took a moment to calm himself as he looked down at his hands, gripping onto the fabric of his pants tightly with his hands pressed firmly in his lap. "That- I-It's Eclip-"

"Eclipse."

He looked up at me, surprised. "H-How do you-" 
I seethed, glancing back at the door to the rest of the daycare, "Don't tell me that Sun's roped you into this too."
"Roped me i-into what-?" His voice was faint, and he pulled away from me to sink into the beanbag chair, looking like he was scared.
"For fuck's sake- Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about," I gritted my teeth, sick of having to listen about Eclipse, "Did Sun put you up to this?"

Lunar shook his head quickly, pulling his hood tight over his head and squeezing his eyes shut, trembling slightly. "N-No, Sir-"

"Faz...What is it with you two and 'Eclipse'? He's not a real person--there's no trace of him in the database, no matter how much I've searched for something," I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose in annoyance, "I've tried to give Sun so many chances to prove that he's real, but he's come up with nothing. And now he's convinced you to just go along with it too."

"Mr. Moon- That's not tru-"

"I could tolerate just him being obsessed with it, but the fact that he has to force everyone else to listen and believe his stories. They're just nightmares for Faz's sake!"

"Sir-"

"I really ought to confront him about this...It's been going on for far too long; it's about time I-"

"MOONDROP-!!"

Taken aback by the use of my full name, I snapped my attention up to Lunar, who was standing now and clearly frustrated. 
"It's you who needs to listen!" He shouted. I'd never seen Lunar this upset--it was unexpected, considering how sensitive and happy he usually was. "Sun has been desperate for you to help him! And all you do is deny and stay in disbelief that what he's been saying could be true!"

He clenched his fists by his sides, shaking slightly--from anger or because he was scared, I couldn't tell. "He needs you to support him! But all you've done in response to his efforts is put him down and tell him he's crazy!" He spat through clenched teeth, "I don't know how he can still be with you after everything that's happened! Even I do better than you!"

I cowered under his gaze and clamped my mouth shut, tearing up slightly. "I-I-" I whispered quietly, but he didn't let me finish.
"No! You don't get to have a say in this!" He glared down at me, "Have a taste of your own medicine! This is what Sun has to put up with every day!"

I looked down at my hands and trembled slightly, vision wavering as my eyes watered and a few tears rolled down my face. "I-I'm sorr-"
"Doesn't feel too good when it's happening to you, does it?"
I shook my head and closed my eyes, letting out a small whimper. He was right, after all. Maybe everyone else was right as well...I've never been good at keeping people around..

"I never meant to make Sun feel like this...I just-" I looked up at Lunar, "I'm sorry.."

"Don't apologize to me," He hissed, looking completely devoid of sympathy, "I'm not Sun." I winced a bit and nodded, looking away, "I-I know- I know..."
"Don't be feeling sorry for yourself either."
I winced again, clenching my fists in my lap and biting down on my tongue before I could snap back. That had hit a nerve...