Chapter 7

Madelyn's POV:

I got a call from the oral surgery office.

"Is this Madelyn Cline?" A woman's voice said at the end of the line.

"This is she." I said.

"Great, I'm just going to let you know a few things before your procedure on Tuesday Miss Cline." She replied, "Don't eat or drink anything 12 hours before surgery, wear something comfortable, and a short sleeve shirt or tank top, ok? Also, please be here 30 minutes before your procedure. We need to prep you"

"Ok, sounds good. Thanks for letting me know. I'll see you on Tuesday." I said.

I was really nervous. I'd never gotten surgery before. I've never been put to sleep or had stitches. At least Chase could come with me and my parents were close too. I texted the OBX director's assistant letting her know that I was getting surgery. I said that I should be good to go within a week, but that my face might still be swollen. She said it was fine. I didn't have many scenes to film the next couple of weeks anyway, but I did have to try on costumes.

It was Tuesday at 6:30 AM. Chase turned to me as he awoke.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"I'm scared and hungry." I said and he laughed. He didn't eat breakfast because he thought it would make me more hungry or upset.

"C'mon, let's get those wisdom teeth out," he said.

As we drove over, the sun began to rise. Pink and orange filled the sky. It was beautiful. The serenity of the scene calmed me down momentarily. As we pulled into the parking lot, I began to panic. My breathing got heavier and quicker. Chase walked around the car and opened the door for me. He stood there with his arms open so I could hug him. I did. He helped me slow down my breathing.

"I'm scared," I said.

"I know, but I'm right here, ok?" he said.

We were the only ones in the waiting room. I was the first appointment of the day. An assistant called me back and took my weight, blood pressure and asked me a few questions.

"You seem cheery!" she said.

I smiled.

"Don't be fooled," I said. "You should have seen me in the parking lot. I was in a panic."

A man entered.

"Hi Madelyn," he said. "I'm Dr. White, your anesthesiologist today. I'll be in charge of your sleep and monitoring you throughout the procedure. Any questions?" he asked.

Chase held my hand from a small stool next to me.

"What if I wake up in the middle of it?" I asked nervously.

"We will make sure that doesn't happen, ok? I'll be watching you the whole time. It'll be like a quick nap. It'll only feel like a few minutes and you'll be awake sooner than you think." He replied.

The assistant put a blood pressure cuff on my arm and a pulse monitor. "These will stay on the whole time." She said as she reached for a fuzzy blanket to cover my legs.

"You're doing great, Mads." Chase said. I forced a small smile to let him know that I was brave. I squeezed his hand.

The anesthesiologist had a few small stickers attached to wires in his hands.

"These are going to monitor your heart. I'm just to place these on your chest, ok? Do you mind if I pull down your shirt a little?" he asked.

I nodded. Dr. White placed 3 stickers on my chest around my heart and a couple on my torso. He fed the wires through my shirt and attached them to a monitor.

Another man came in. I was overwhelmed. There was a lot going on. 

"Hi Madelyn," he said reaching his hand down to shake mine. "I'm Dr. Parek. I'm your oral surgeon. How are you holding up?" he asked.

"Nervous," I said.

"That's completely normal," he added, "We will take great care of you. I see you brought a friend." He said looking at Chase.

"Hey Doctor, I'm Maddie's boyfriend. Here for emotional support." He said and both him and the doctor chuckled.

"Well it looks like you're in good hands," the assistant said.

Chase stroked my leg. He could tell I was getting more nervous. The machines and monitors beeped faster.

"Hey, babe, it's ok, just focus on your breathing. Squeeze my hand." Chase said.

I nodded and exhaled through my mouth while leaning back and closing my eyes.

"Okey dokey," Dr. White said. "I'm going to start the IV line. We're gonna get some medication in you. Are you ready for the sleepy juice?" He said excitedly.

I nodded, still breathing heavily. Chase moved the stray hair out of my face and wiped away a tear below my eye with his thumb. I didn't even notice that I had been crying. I was so nervous and distracted.

"You're doing so good Maddie, I'm right here." Chase said.

I flinched as I felt a small pinch in my arm. It was the IV.

"Sorry about that," Dr. White said. "Anna," he said referring to the assistant. "Can you get her hooked up on some oxygen?" he asked.

The assistant placed a cannula in my nostrils, the tube that will give me more air during the procedure. She stroked my head and leaned the chair back.

"Ok, it's going to feel a bit cold, Madelyn," Dr. White said as he injected medication through the IV line. I felt my eyes getting heavy and the noise in the room got quieter.

"I love you," I heard Chase say even though I couldn't see him, "I will be here when you wake up."

I could feel myself getting emotional again. I could tell that they were escorting Chase out of the room.

"Shh, it's ok honey,  just breathe," Anna said, still stroking my face. I was getting dizzy. Before I was completely asleep, I felt hand on my chin and jaw. It was the doctor opening my mouth before I fell asleep and my jaw locked. He put something in there to keep it open and then everything stopped.

When I awoke, the room was spinning, everything was blurry.

"Hey, you're awake!" Chase said. I couldn't feel my face and my legs felt like jello. I was so tired.

"It's over, you did it," he said. "It's all done, we get to go home now, I'm proud of you." I was crying but I didn't feel upset. I guess I was relieved and overwhelmed. The assistant gave Chase some instructions and then helped me into a wheelchair where I was rolled out to the car.