Chapter 37

Madelyn's POV:

Chase and I decided that we would go to brunch with my parents the next morning. We hadn't seen them in a bit and they wanted to see me with the ring on. I could tell that both of them were very excited for me and Chase.

My parents were already waiting at the table once we arrived. They eagerly stood up and hugged both of us.

"Hi Sweetie!" My mom greeted me.

"Hey guys!" I said back.

"Are you happy?" My mom whispered into my ear as she went in for a hug.

"I'm so happy." I replied while pulling away from the hug to show her the ring on my finger.

"It looks great on you." She said.

"Thank you, and thanks for helping him pick it out, it's perfect." I replied.

She chuckled. I greeted my dad while my mom hugged Chase and then we sat down.

"So, I need to know...how romantic was it?" My mom asked with a smile.

Chase looked to me and then my parents. "I tried to make it as romantic as possible, you know, sunset, champagne, beach picnic, you get the gist." 

"It was very romantic." I replied while squeezing his hand.

"That sounds really nice." My dad added.

"Madelyn, do you want to take a look at some dresses soon?" My mom posed.

"Maybe. I don't know, I kind of just want to enjoy this moment for a little and not rush into a wedding." I replied.

"Yeah, plus we're shooting season 3 in a couple of months. So the wedding won't be for another year and a half or so." Chase said.

"I get that, take your time. You should enjoy this time you have with each other as an engaged couple." My mom said.

"By the way, my mom is gonna be in town for a few days next week and I know she'd love to see y'all." Chase said.

"Amazing, we should plan something all together!" My dad responded. 

After brunch, my parents hugged us goodbye. When we got into the car, Chase sighed deeply.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"No, it's nothing." Chase replied.

"Babe..." I said while turning his chin with two of my fingers to face me.

"I know it's stupid, but I still get nervous around your parents." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't know, I guess I'm scared they won't like me or something." Chase responded.

"Yeah, that is stupid." I joked agreeing with his earlier statement.

"I'm serious..." He replied.

"Chase, what makes you think that they don't like you?" I asked again.

"I mean, you're their only daughter, and it makes sense that they want the absolute best for you. Sometimes I'm scared that I'm not that." He said.

I immediately frowned. "You don't think you're the best for me?" I responded in a quieter tone.

"I phrased that wrong, sorry. I just want don't want them to think that you belong with someone better." He said while looking down.