Chapter 55

Chase's POV:

I could tell how upset and concerned Madelyn was after the incident in the bathroom. I tried to comfort her as much as I could, but she was very quiet and somewhat unresponsive to my questions. We were about 4 hours into the flight from LA to Bangkok, and we were both getting restless. Maddie was trying to watch a movie but it couldn't seem to keep her attention.

"You ok?" I whispered.

She nodded and rubbed her eyes tiredly.

"Why don't you take a nap?" I proposed while caressing her arm.

She shrugged. "I don't know. I don't feel tired."

Maddie always did this. She was "never tired" but then fell asleep a couple minutes after. She did exactly that 30 minutes later. The pregnancy was definitely taking a toll on her. I was hoping that when we got to Thailand, Madelyn wouldn't feel too tired or drained to do activities, but I wouldn't blame her if she was...she was pregnant with twins after all.

I fell asleep soon after Madelyn. When I awoke, the plane was dark and quiet, and Maddie was not next to me. I panicked internally for a second and then realized that she was probably just in the bathroom.

"Excuse me, sir?" The flight attendant whispered while tapping my shoulder.

I jumped a little bit.

"Is your friend ok? She's been in the lavatory for about an hour now. I just wanted to make sure she was alright." The flight attendant said worriedly.

I began to panic again.

"Oh, yeah she's my wife. Thanks for letting me know, I'll go check on her." I replied. I was trying to stay as calm as possible, but deep down I knew something was wrong. Maybe it was just bad luck with bathrooms today.

The flight attendant smiled and walked away as I got up. I headed towards the bathroom and knocked on the door...no response.

"Maddie?" I whispered, trying not to wake the sleeping passengers.

No response.

"Mads?" I said louder. I knocked on the door harder.

Still no response. I put my hands on my head and pulled my hair back with my fingers out of sheer stress.

Suddenly, the door unlatched. The brightness of the bathroom caused me to squint. When my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw Maddie folded over on the ground leaning on the toilet.

I gasped and rushed to her side.

"What happened? Are you ok?" I said worriedly.

I then noticed all of the vomit in the toilet. I closed the bathroom door behind me to ensure our privacy, but it was now super cramped. I knelt down next to Madelyn with the limited space I had and put my hands on her cheeks.

"I threw up." Maddie managed to say through her heavy breathing.

I moved her hair behind her ears.

"I can see that." I joked.

She smiled shyly.

"Is this sickness from the pregnancy?" I asked while grabbing a few sheets of toilet paper and wiping her mouth.

Maddie nodded. 

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked.

"It happened fast. But at least we know I'm still pregnant." She joked.