Chapter 85

Madelyn's POV:

The next morning, I woke up at 7 AM, breastfed both of the babies and made a pot of coffee. My stomach was in knots as I waited for Chase to wake up. I was so nervous about my flight that was in a few hours. Flights were a nightmare for me considering all the anxiety and intrusive thoughts I had. I knew I had to keep it together so Chase could focus on his work and table read today. I also convinced him that I would be ok going to Charleston alone, and I wanted him to believe me.

Chase stumbled out of the bedroom and rubbed his eyes. Madison and Mariah were cuddling James and Juliet on the couch. They both loved having the babies here.

"Hi baby." Chase said groggily.

"Good morning." I replied while wrapping my arms around his waist. "Are you excited for work?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm just so tired." He replied.

"I made coffee, want some?" I asked.

"Sure, thanks Mads." Chase said.

We hugged for a few more seconds, and I really needed that embrace. I poured Chase a cup of coffee and he greeted the twins, Madison and Mariah. He had to leave for work before my flight so Madison was going to take me to the airport.

"Call me, ok?" Chase asked as he tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"I will." I said quietly while reaching in for a hug.

"Are you gonna be ok?" He checked.

"I'll be fine, I promise. I'll call you when I get there." I replied.

"I love you so much." He said.

"I love you too." I responded.

Chase squeezed me, kissed the top of my head and then my lips. I never wanted this moment to end. I stood on the porch and watched as he drove away. I took a deep breath and made my way back inside where I kissed James and Juliet and packed a small carry on. I would only be in Charleston for a day and a half, I didn't need much.

"Thank y'all so much for taking care of them. Seriously." I said to Madison and Mariah as I emerged from my room with a bag.

"No problem, it's only 2 days Maddie." Madison replied.

I nodded. "I know, but I really appreciate it." I said.

Madison smiled and nodded. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, I think so." I said quietly.

I walked over to the babies' bassinets and first picked up James. I gave him a big kiss and a squeeze.

"I love you J, see you soon." I whispered.

I put him back down and picked up Juliet where I did the same thing.

"Bye cutie." I said to her, feeling my eyes getting hot meaning I was going to cry. I managed to keep the tears in, but my throat hurt from holding back. I didn't have much time to process the move, and I knew all the emotions were going to come spilling out soon.

I felt Madison's hand on the back of my arm.

"C'mon Mads, they'll be ok. Let's go." She said gently.

I nodded and placed Juliet in her bassinet. 

I thanked Mariah for watching the babies while I was gone and Madison drove me to the airport. As we pulled up to the terminal, Madison put her hand on my knee.