Chapter 87

TW: Brief mentions of self harm

Chase's POV:

Maddie and I slept on the couch together that night. The news was unexpected and it hit us hard. In the morning, I bottle fed the twins and made some coffee as I let Madelyn sleep. I stayed close, I wanted to be there for her when she woke up. Madison came downstairs and quietly made her way past Madelyn to join me in the kitchen.

"Hey, is everything ok? Maddie sounded pretty upset last night." She said.

"Um, no not really. Her Grandma died." I replied flatly. I had gotten most of my emotions out last night.

"What? Oh my god, I'm so sorry. That's terrible. Is Maddie ok? Are you ok?" Madison asked worriedly.

"I'm sad, but I'll be ok. I'm worried about Mads. They were really close. We're gonna have to go to Charleston for the funeral soon." I said while rubbing my eyes.

"Shit. I'm sorry. Are you taking the babies? Do you need me to watch them?" She asked as she gave me a hug.

"I'm not sure. I'll have to talk to Maddie. She's still sleeping." I replied, accepting her tight squeeze.

When I turned my head, I saw an exhausted Madelyn shuffling into the kitchen. Her hair was a mess and her eyes were bloodshot and had dark circles under them. I gave her a sympathetic smile as I walked over to her.

"Hi baby." I whispered while hugging her neck.

She didn't say anything and we held each other for a few minutes. When I let go, Madison hesitantly walked over and gave Madelyn a hug too.

"I'm so sorry Mads. Are you ok? Please let me know what I can do." Madison said quietly while running her fingers through Maddie's hair.

"Thank you Bails." Madelyn replied with a coarse voice.

That day, Madison and Mariah took James and Juliet along with them to run errands so Madelyn and I could have some time alone. We decided that we were going to take the twins with us to Charleston for the funeral. Even though it would be hard, Madelyn said it was what her Nanna would've wanted.

We spent the day cuddling, watching movies, and booking our flights. We were going to go to Charleston in a few days to spend time with Madelyn's family before the funeral.

Madelyn was fairly quiet. I wanted her to open up about her feelings and thoughts, but I couldn't ask her to do that yet. This just happened last night and it was still too raw. She cried a little bit throughout the day, but quietly. I made sure to give her lots of hugs and kisses when she did.

Madelyn's POV:

We arrived in Charleston a few days later. The babies did well on the flight, sleeping for most of the time. Chase was visibly very worried about me, I wasn't talking too much. I already wasn't feeling too great to begin with, so the news of my Nanna's passing just made everything worse.

We hung out with my parents when we got there. My mom was very emotional, so it was difficult to be around her without crying. Chase asked me if I was ok at least every 30 minutes. I appreciated it, but it was getting repetitive. I just needed a break from everyone and everything.

"I'm gonna go take a nap. Can you watch Jules? James is sleeping." I asked Chase.

"Ok, do you want me to come with you?" He asked.

I shook my head.

"Are you sure? I can rub your back if you want." Chase said. He liked to comfort me by rubbing my back when I wasn't feeling good.