Chapter 36

Madelyn's POV:

Chase had been acting off all week, but he wouldn't tell me why. I was starting to worry that he was hiding something, or worse, that he was going to break up with me. Last night Chase told me he wanted to do a picnic at the beach today. I was nervous, he obviously wanted to talk about something important. I had a knot in my stomach, hoping today wouldn't be our last day as a couple.

"Are you ready?" Chase called from the living room. 

I quickly powdered my nose and dabbed some lipstick off of my mouth. 

"Yeah, one sec. I'm coming." I replied.

I decided to text Madison, "Chase is acting weird, I feel like he's gonna break up with me..." I wrote. Madison immediately texted back. 

"Wdym? Mads, he would never. He loves you so much." Madison replied. 

"I know, I'm just worried." I texted back.

"I'm sure everything is fine. You know Chase is awkward sometimes. Text me with an update later." Madison wrote. 

"I will, thank you Bails <333" I replied before grabbing my purse and walking out of the bedroom to greet Chase.

As soon as he saw me, he stared and stammered on his words. 

"You-you look gorgeous." Chase said. I was wearing a short white sundress with my hair slicked back into a low bun. 

I smiled and blushed. "Thanks, you look quite handsome yourself." I responded.

He linked his arm in mine and we walked to the car. The drive to the beach was pretty quiet. I could see Chase looking at me every so often out of the corner of my eye. He rested his right hand on my bare thigh. 

The sky was golden when we arrived at the beach. It was almost 7:30 PM, and the sun was just beginning to set. Chase walked around to the passenger side of the car and opened the door for me, holding my hand. He took a few things out of the trunk and we walked onto the sand.

I was thinking to myself that this was too romantic to be a break up, maybe he just wanted to talk to me about something. He had been stressed out recently.

"How about right here?" Chase asked pointing to a spot on the sand about halfway between the dunes and the ocean.

"Perfect." I replied while helping unfold the blanket. 

Chase sat down on the blanket and I sat in between his legs, leaning on his chest. He put his arms around me and kissed the side of my head. The sky began to turn a pinkish orange, and it reflected on the ocean creating a beautiful scene.

After a few minutes, Chase said "Stand up, I want to take a picture of you with the sunset."

I stood up and took a few steps closer to the ocean.

"Is here good?" I said with my back still towards him.

When I turned around, Chase was on one knee. It took me a few seconds to fully process what was happening.

"What are you doing?" I asked with a giggle. 

Chase reached into his front pocket. That's when I saw it, a small box. He flipped it open revealing a beautiful diamond ring.

I gasped. This was happening. He was proposing. I brought my hands up to my mouth.

Chase took a deep breath.