Chapter 77

Chase's POV:

Madelyn's podcast episode came out yesterday, and there was nothing but support and love for her. Even though she was trying not to check her phone and social media comments, what I saw was all positive.

Despite the overmedicating situation, she seemed to be doing better. Her C-section scar was fully healed at this point and she could exercise easily now. Madelyn was still tired a lot which was reasonable. Neither of the twins were sleeping through the night yet. Juliet was only waking up once or twice, but James was really struggling to sleep. I knew Madelyn was starting to get worried about him.

That night when Madelyn and I were getting ready for bed, she expressed her worries.

"I think we should take James to the doctor." She said quietly as she changed into a pajama shirt.

"Why?" I asked.

"Babe, he's not sleeping. Juliet's basically sleeping through the night, and he barely sleeps at all." She replied.

"I'm sure he's ok. He'll probably be sleeping through the night soon. He's always done everything one step after Juliet." I said, pointing out that James grew slower and his milestones came later than his sister's.

"No, I don't think this is normal." She replied while shaking her head.

I sighed. "Ok, we can make an appointment tomorrow."

Madelyn smiled and kissed my cheek. "Thank you." She said with a relieved tone.

As soon as Madelyn and I got into bed, we heard James' desperate cries. James had only been sleeping for about 30 minutes, and he was just fed an hour before. He shouldn't of been up and crying.

"I'll get him, go to sleep Mads." I said.

I went to the twins room and gently picked up James. He didn't stop crying. Juliet was fast asleep in the crib beside him. I sat down on the rocking chair and cautiously bounced him. Still, he didn't stop crying.

"What's wrong, J?" I asked quietly, Rudy's nickname sticking.

He squirmed in my arms, his wails becoming louder. I then noticed Madelyn standing in the doorway.

"Baby, I'll handle it. You need some sleep." I said sympathetically. She looked really tired. Her hair was messy and the dark circles under her eyes were growing by the second, but nevertheless, she was gorgeous.

"Yeah, well he needs some sleep too." Madelyn replied, pointing to James.

She swooped in and took James into her arms.

"Let's take him to our room. I don't want him to wake Juliet." Madelyn said.

I stood up and followed behind her, placing my hand on her lower back as we walked. I took James into my arms as Madelyn got into position in bed. I placed him back into her arms and she gave him a kiss on his forehead. He immediately stopped crying. All he needed was a kiss from his mom.

I sat down next to her in bed as James slowly relaxed.

"You ok?" I asked.

She nodded, but didn't break eye contact with James. I rubbed her thigh.

"You're such a good mama." I said.

She smiled. "Thank you, you're the best dad."

As soon as Madelyn smiled, James smiled too. Madelyn gasped, this was the first time James fully smiled. Juliet had smiled a bunch of times already.

"Did you see that?!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Yeah!" I replied excitedly but quietly.

She nuzzled her nose up to his face and kissed his nose.