Chapter 41

Chase's POV:

It had been 2 days since Maddie took off her engagement ring and walked out the door. I couldn't get myself to call or text her, I hadn't even responded to her text telling me to get myself together and call her when I was ready to talk. I spent most of my time submerged under pillows and blankets on the couch.

I was in the process of slowly getting up off of the couch to get a glass of water when I heard a knock at the door. Maddie would never knock, so it must've been someone else. When I looked through the peep hole, it was Rudy. He had recently got back to Charleston from traveling with his girlfriend. 

I hesitantly opened the door.

"Hey man, you're alive." He said. I hadn't responded to anyone's texts in about 3 days, and Rudy was one to worry.

"Hey, did Maddie send you?" I asked.

"What? No, is she not here?" Rudy replied.

"Never mind." I said quickly. I assumed Maddie had gotten Rudy to come check on me, but then I realized that it was all up to me. She wasn't going to come after me and beg me to apologize or anything, I had to do it myself.

"You look like shit." Rudy said.

"Thanks." I replied flatly.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

I opened the door wider to let him in. As he walked into the kitchen, I could tell that he noticed Maddie's ring sitting on the counter.

"Are you ok Chase?" He asked.

I sighed. "No, not really. I messed up." 

"Yeah, I can see that." Rudy responded while pointing to the ring. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head and leaned my elbows on the counter, letting my head fall into my hands.

"Fuck." I whispered, "I really fucked up."

I didn't hit me until I saw the ring just laying there, not on Maddie's finger. I couldn't lose her, I've come close to losing her too many times. I needed to get her back, to apologize and gain her trust. 

"I have to call Mads." I said with more energy.

"Yeah? Is that a good idea?" Rudy asked.

"I don't know, but I need to." I replied.

"Chase, I'm sure whatever happened isn't relationship ending worthy. She loves you so much, and you love her. Just show her that you care about her, and apologize. Because from looking at you, I can tell it's your fault." He said while chuckling.

It was true, I did look like shit, and it was my fault. 

"Do you want me to stay?" Rudy asked.

"No. Thank you. I need to figure this out on my own." I said.

Rudy gave me a pat on the back.

"Oh, and before you try to win Maddie back or whatever, take a shower please." He said.

I laughed, but he was serious. I had been marinating in the same clothes on the couch for the past couple of days, letting the depression rot me away.

As Rudy left, he told me to keep him updated, and that he was there if I needed him. I took a deep breath and pulled out my phone, slowly clicking on Madelyn's contact. Was she even going to answer? What if she doesn't want to be with me anymore? I snapped out of that mindset and brought the phone up to my ear. She picked up after 2 rings.

"Hi." Maddie said quietly.

"Hi." I replied.

There was an uncomfortably long pause.

"I'm ready to talk." I said.

"Ok." She responded.

"Can you come home? I want to do it in person." I asked.

"Yeah." Maddie whispered. It was obvious that she had been crying, Maddie always had a scratchy voice after crying. 

"I'll be home soon." She said.

"Drive safe." I replied before I hung up.

I hopped in the shower, and I must've been in there for a while because I heard the front door unlock and open. My heart skipped a beat. It felt like I hadn't seen Maddie in forever, but it had only been a couple days. I was so nervous, hoping that at the end of the conversation, we would still be together. 

I turned off the shower and put on a robe. I looked in the mirror and slapped my face, not hard, but I wanted myself to wake up and get my girl back.

I opened the bathroom door and saw Maddie sitting on the couch. Her hair was in a messy bun and she had no make up on. Despite her tired eyes, she still looked beautiful. She teared up as soon as she saw me. 

"Hi baby." She said quietly as a few tears streamed down her face.

"I'm so sorry." I replied and I rushed over to hold her.

Maddie cried harder as I held her in my arms. 

"Shhh." I cooed. 

After a few minutes of me hugging her and rubbing her back, Madelyn calmed down.

I held her cheeks in my hands and stared into her eyes as she sniffled.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I lost sight of what's really important to me, and that's you. You and our relationship are the most important things to me. I'm sorry that I let some low self esteem and depression get in the way of that. I'm sorry if I made you feel that you weren't special or loved, because you are. You are so loved. I don't want to lose you, I can't. And I'm sorry I waited so long to call you, I didn't know what to say. I assumed that you hated me or something. I'm gonna pull myself together, but I need help. And I hate to ask that of you, because you've already been through so much. But I'm gonna need some guidance right now...and also a therapist. I love you and I'm so sorry." I said. I took a deep breath after I finished. 

Maddie also took a deep breath. She nodded and rubbed my leg.

"Thank you for saying that. I forgive you and I love you so much. I'm sorry that you're struggling right now. It sucks but I know exactly how you feel. Also, I'm sorry for taking off my ring, I didn't mean it. No more lies, ok?" She said.

"Ok, I promise." I replied. 

We hugged again, and I stood up to get her ring off of the counter. I knelt in front of her and held out the ring.

She chuckled. "What are you doing? Are you proposing again?" She asked.

"Maybe..." I teased.

"Madelyn Renee, will you marry me? Sorry, let me rephrase...will you put the ring back on?" I said with a giggle. 

"Of course." She replied.

Maddie stood up and we kissed.